I Forge Iron

The questions to ask a scrapyard

Hello,

This is the first time I have posted anything on this forum. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for when calling or visiting a scrapyard on what to ask them. I image the first thing to ask them is if they sell any period but after that I am at a loss. I haven't been blacksmithing for very long and I can always just go to my local metal supplier in town but it would be nice to have some metal on hand that I don't have to worry so much about using it or testing an idea I have on a project if I was able to find some scrap. I have always had a bit of a problem with just calling up places like this and asking questions but if I had some pointers on what kinds of things to ask or even how to ask them it would help me a lot. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Ferrous, non-ferrous, both?  Not just car parts? Price?  Can you wander the piles?  Can you disassemble items for stuff you can use?  Any industrial or machine shop scrap?

Really I would ask if they sold stuff to individuals and if so (and not just car parts), I'd go visit it and see.

I agree with Thomas. In person always work better for me, folks tend to tell ya anything on the phone just to get rid of ya. It's is best to talk to the crew and explain you do blacksmithing as a hobby and remember, if they will let ya look around to stay out of the way and the phrase in rust we trust. I usually concentrate on round stock, flat bar stock, any springs, axles, torsion bars etc. after a while good stuff will just seem to jump out at ya.

Of course it will depend a lot on where in the world you are located too.

One thing about visits; I like to show up wearing boots, blue jeans, long sleeve work shirt, bright red hat, leather gloves.  Show that I am aware of the hazards and will do my part to be safe!  If they are using a piece of large machinery I GET OUT OF THAT AREA, stand where they can see me without a fuss or even leave and come back later.

Rural Mom&Pop  (or in my case Father&Son&Grandson) scrapyards are often places where a dozen doughnuts and talking (and showing) about the stuff you do can help a lot.  However if they are busy---don't waste their time!

I don't bring unmarked tools in  as I buy a lot of my tools there and never want there to be a question about which tools need to be weighed out.  I go out of my way to maintain my scrapyard access!  

• 1 month later...

I gained access to a scrap yard by buying a paperweight/doorstop.  I was hauling a load of worthless junk (to me) in and when I went to collect in the office there was a mangled chunk of a engine block sitting on the counter as a demonstration piece for what their metal/car shredder could do.  It really caught my eye and I asked to buy it.  The secretary said not for sale.  I persisted and she called the manager and I explained my hobby and interest and after much haggeling and general bs'ing, I overpaid for it but they opened the door and I more than made up for it.  Theres more than one way to skin a cat.