I Forge Iron

New to me Cone

Ridgeway Forge Studio

JHCC, I'm pleased that mine has that feature- I'm thinking of temporarily bolting it to a wood frame- then I can step on the wood to keep the cone stable. Once I decide on a place, I may anchor it to the concrete.

The cone wasn't really for sale- it was in a corner of a photo of an anvil for sale-

When I messaged the gentleman, he said 75- I figured he must have left off a zero, but lo and behold, the best purchase I've made in a while!

One trick that I have not yet tried myself is using the mandrel on the diagonal for long curves. There's a good photo of this in "The Art and Craft of the Blacksmith" by Robert Thomas, but I can't find my copy at the moment.

As I note in one of the comments on that thread:

For the golden spiral, the growth factor is φ, the golden ratio; that is to say, the length of the radius increases by a factor of φ (roughly 1.618033) for every quarter turn.

You can generate a golden spiral using this method by setting the protractor at 17° from perpendicular rather than the 5° shown in the video. I mentioned this in the video, but I referred to it as the Fibonacci spiral rather than the golden spiral.

Strictly speaking, a Fibonacci spiral is not 100% identical with the golden spiral, but it’s a pretty close approximation. You create a Fibonacci spiral by combining a sequence of quarter circles with radii equaling the numbers in the Fibonacci sequence: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, etc. Because the ratio of adjacent Fibonacci numbers approaches φ the closer you get to infinity, the closer a Fibonacci spiral will be to a golden spiral the farther out you draw it.