I Forge Iron

Time to give my forge / Smithy a name.

Well, after a few people have seen my first few pieces they are showing enough interest that I should at least have a name to give them.

The smithy is located in my garage at the moment and is on land which is covered with VERY large Oak trees which produce MONSTROUS acorns. (2"-3" across) I do not want a silly name or one tied to the location.

These are my choices so-far:
Oak Fire Forge (So-far I am liking this one best)
Burning Oak Forge
Smokin' Oak Forge
Smokin' Acorn Forge
Burnt Oak Forge
Burnt Acorn Forge
The Artisans Hammer and Forge ( A little "over the top"? Esp. for a new blacksmith. )
The Artisans Hammer and Cave

Edited by NateDJ

Quote...."or one tied to the location." Thought you said you didn't want one tied to the location....??

I'm kinda in the same situation as you, I live in deep East Texas on 60+ acres of pine and hardwood. Have thought of "Pine Cone Forge" and my wife says to go for it. Right now it's just Dean's Smithy...original, huh. Just go for what YOU like and can live with. Either of the names mentioned sound good. Also, what about "Acorn Forge"?

I believe "Acorn Forge" is taken but I may be wrong.

Also, if I lived in an amongst a bunch of very large oaks I wouldn't call it "Burning Oak Forge" I'm not superstitious per se but don't like tempting fate none the less.

There's nothing wrong with incorporating your name. I call mine "The FrostWorks" so my "friends" can tag a question mark on it for funsies.

One I haven't heard a version of is "The Garage Smithy." Heck, I'd build a structure special to have, "The Breezeway Bloomery." :cool:

Frosty

LOL Bur Oak Forge is already taken as well.
My web site, not that I have done anything with it yet is effortlessware.com so I thought about effortless forge but... have you ever tried to hit something with a hammer very long? Not even close to effortless! ;)

Smokin' Oak Forge (referencing fuel for your forge)
Smokin' Acorn Forge (possible other fuel)
Burnt Oak Forge (fuel again)
Burnt Acorn Forge
Oak Nut Forge (Does an acorn qualify as a type of nut?)
Acorn and Oak Forge
Monster Oak Forge
el Grande Oaks Forge (don't know if my spanish is right, but you get the drift)

All I can think of at the moment.

(I'd offer Oakwood Forge, but that's taken, right Jens?)

how about Kickapo forge...or Indian Nation forge...lot of History there. or Canadian Valley forge. seems like the Chisholm trail went right past Blanchard...The Forge on the Chisholm!

Not enough Indian blood in me to keep from offending my Indian friends if I use that.
Trying to not link it to a place encase I ever decide to move it to a better location.

No Oak in it...hmmm... Ok....we need more info in order to come up with some proper names, especially if we are not basing it solely on location.

You could name it using initials from you and the wife's names, using you and your kids initials, using just the kids names or initials, something you enjoy doing in life, something you've associated with for a long time, using a nickname from when you were a child, etc. etc.

Possibilities are endless.

I have a backup name for my forge, in case I ever see fit to change it for whatever reason. But I'll keep that secret for now.;)

Finding a name for your forge can either be an easy task, or one that makes you obsessive/compulsive. As I said, think about what you do, people important to you, etc. It will come to you eventually.

CurlyGeorge: Yeah, I thought "Peedabed" was a fun name. Seems like all my life I've been involved with fire in one way or another. I actually heard that warning a lot growing up coming from my mother, when I was either burning something, playing with a torch, matches, lighters, etc. Then, for a while, I was a Volunteer Firefighter. More fire, among other things to deal with.:D Now, I'm playing with the hottest fire I've ever had, and having the time of my life, so far. I've even discussed with the wife my last wish of being cremated, if I go before her. Seems only fitting.

NateDJ: The sig line about "hacks" came after a discussion with a good friend about people representing that they knew how to do something, when they really don't. He sent a part out for a firearm for some work, and when it came back, it was almost ruined. So after talking for a while, I decided I never want to be referred to as a "hack". My sig line is just a reminder for myself, really. If I don't know how, I'll tell em up front.

( On a lighter note: I posted on a "forum" on another site similar to this, and my post was removed by the admin. there. One of his reasons--he thought peedabed forge was a "questionable" "handle" as he called it. Guess my mother is "questionable", huh? :rolleyes: Oh, well, just won't go back there, anymore.)

Anyway, enough said, you can have your thread back, didn't mean to hijack it.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the steel supply today and picked up a 3/8'' plate for my hearth on my coal forge. The guy who sold it to me said it was a 44''x38'' Blue Steel plate. What exactly is ''Blue Steel''? and would that not be a good name for a forge?
Blue Steel Forge
Google doesn't turn up anything on it do any of you know any one using it?