I Forge Iron

It just occured to me (info for the beginning smith)

I'm a very new smith. Well, a total noob anyway, the "smith" part is still up for debate.  I joined this forum a couple of years ago after I'd built my first forge.  I started in this mess with the grandiose Idea of making the perfect blades. And ended up making all kinds of things other than blades. I dunno, but I think I have about $100 total tied up in my smithy. No, I take that back, I bought a Champion blower for about $125, so $225 tied up. hammers were dirt cheap to free, tongs I made, Forge, I made. (3 of them) Anvil, I made from scrap steel, Post vise, made from scrap steel, and lead screw from McMaster Carr for about $10.  It would seem that every time I get ready to make something that I haven't made before, I need to start by making the tools to get it done.  I have a holdfast consisting of a bicycle chain, and 15 pound window weight. My punches, and drifts are made from salvaged springs, and jack hammer bits.  I have made various tools for the hardy hole, in order to allow me to do certian tasks.

I've learned a lot in the past couple of years, and burned a lot of coal.  I still have a lot to learn.  Welding seems to work sometimes, but most time not, (I say phase of moon).  I've managed to forge many useful items, which have been installed around the house, and are used regularly.  Thumb latches, hinges, and hooks, are most used. Bottle openers run a close second. (Not counting the tools for forging)  

Recently, I've been on a gas key kick.  I made a bottle opener from a chunk of scrap found in a barn I was renovating. I gave it to the owner, it was his steel anyway. Well, the GC came up later, and asked me if I could make gas keys for fireplaces. I told him that I probably could. So, I've been hammering out unique gas keys, sort of a "sample batch" to see #1-If I can do it, and #2- what may, or may not sell.   I learned even more in the process.  Like for a nice dragon scale, the cuts need to be exactly the same. And dragon heads are difficult to forge, the dragon whiskers being a real PITA. (they are thin, and cool quickly)  Basket twist is not as easy as it looks on you toob. But, the basics are there, and stock must be wasted to learn.   And the square hole needs to be dead center, which is hard to do without proper equipment.  (so far every hole has been a tad off center)

I joined this forum on or about day one, and have enjoyed the wealth of information, one liners, and general camaraderie.  

I guess the main point of this is the fact that there is more to blacksmithing than just buying the tools of the trade, and banging hot steel.  One must learn how to bang hot steel. That is done by making the tools used to bang hot steel. Once you get the tools made, you have a pretty good handle on how to make.....  

A major part of learning to bang on iron is by *doing* *it*.  You can only learn so much by watching videos or even reading books. At some point you have to "Heat & Beat".  Getting started forging as soon as possible will help you a lot more than sitting at the desk.  Why I offer my "Getting Hooked on Smithing" class to show people how they can get started cheap and easily.  If nothing else the questions they ask online make a lot more sense once they have actually worked hot metal!