I Forge Iron

Asymmetric wrapped eye

I’ve read lots of posts online, but all seem to assume the reader knows what they mean by “asymmetric”. I know what a wrapped eye is and I know the meaning of asymmetric. I just don’t know what asymmetric is in regards to a wrapped eye. What would a symmetric wrapped eye be?

Likely a silly question. 

Not a silly question, very few are.  I understand an symmetric eye as being one where the plane of the blade bisects the eye exactly.  When looking down from the top it looks like a circle (the eye) on top of a line (the line of the blade).  Anything that does not do this is an asymmetric eye.  The commonest version would be an eye that is just rolled up from the blade so that the O of the eye is on the side of the blade.  Hinges can be made this way and I believe that splitting froes can be made this way.  Any striking tool, like an axe, needs to be symmetrical.  Otherwise, the tool will twist in the hand.  For a struck tool like a froe it doesn't matter.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

As I've always understood it, an asymmetric wrapped eye is where the starting bar is bent with just enough material to make the eye and weld to the body. Whereas a symmetric eye is bent in the middle more or less and welded like we'd normally do for something like a tomahawk.

I remember a while back someone here doing quite a few axes of the assymetrical welded type, as well as welded langettes  and all those tricky welds

I'd have to go digging for the posts