I Forge Iron

decibels

i am wondering what levels of noise smithing generates. i am not talking power hammers here coz those are positively deafening. i just mean normal hammering of hot steel on an anvil.

i wouldnt have thought it would exceed the noise generated by a lawn mower or similar. but it seems my local city council is worried that my suburban smithy will generate sufficient nuisance for my neighbors that it would be best if i didnt...far from being worried about the forge itself...its the hammering that bothers them :S

i've spent a fair bit of time at the anvil and have never worn ear protection. and it doesnt seem to bother me.

brisbane, queensland, australia...

i am in the process of building my smithy at the moment. called up council to see if they'd drag me out in the street and shoot me for doing something like this...its not a popular activity. one of the people i talked to at council didnt even know what an anvil is...bit odd...i woulda thought anyone who'd seen road runner or the sort would at least have asked their parents "what's that big black thing coyote is trying to drop on road runner?"...but anyway...that's a different story :)

they suggested that i should get an "acoustic assessment" done. which costs about $4000 :( and even then that wouldnt guarantee a pass...but people are allowed to use power tools and the sort...so i dont really see the big problem...but if a neighbor complains then i will be asked to stop what i am doing...which would be rather...unfortunate :(

I find it amazing the controls people expect on "non mainstream" activities. Sure the anvil makes a bit of noise but compared to lawn mowers its chickenfeed but then mowers are expected in surburbia. Some people just like to complain..............

Try talking to your neighbours and get them to tell you if they are having guests and would like it super quiet. Maybe that will help.

Edited by rmcpb

and people tuning their v8s in their garage :) rumbling, sputtering engines are far better than the clang of creativity i guess...

i am considering doing a letter drop on my block...or perhaps offering discounts on my services to neighbors in the immediate vicinity...nothing like bribes to keep people quiet :) the problem is that keeping up with demand may be a fulltime job :S just to stop them complaining :(

I agree that your smithing won't make much of a noise nuisance (the smoke might be a nuisance, but that depends on your fuel). You might be able to ease their worries if you offer to deaden the anvil's ring with magnets/chain/rubber and demonstrate how much that cuts down on the noise. I hope that they're reasonable folks.

smoke shouldnt be a problem. i use coke which seems to produce next to no smoke...i am also looking into sound proofing options too...the floor of my smithy is going to be decomposed granite which is supposed to be quite good for reducing the tuningfork effect that concrete slabs have...how do you use magnets to reduce the ring?

I have a little "70 lb" magnet that I stick on the bottomside of the horn on my russian HF submarine anvil. It takes the "ting" to a "thunk". mine is sitting on a three-legged base made from a single sheet of 3/4 inch plywood. The whole thing never rings with the magnet on it. I also hold the legs down with a short length of chain.

my anvil is a 300lb wilkinson sword anvil (circa 1840) that has seen a fair bit of use over the years...still has many good edges despite having a fairly distinct depression in the middle of the face. i plan to mount it on a 40cm high block of aussie hardwood (probably kwila) though perhaps softwood may be a more sound-dampening option. i would like to take whatever measures possible to make it as quiet as possible. keep those neighbors happy.

so if i wrap a chain around it and have it on a wooden block which is sitting on a compacted earth floor and perhaps even a large-ish magnet stuck to the side it should be fairly quiet yes?

My 260# Czech anvil had a very sharp ring to it until I fastened it down. The anvil sits on a wood post which is just slightly smaller than the footprint of the anvil. two 8'' x 10''x 1/2'' steel plates are through bolted through the post with 5/8'' threaded rod, pinching the anvil feet with a very tight grip. The anvil does not budge and the ring is deadened to a dull thud. This also makes it easy to turn the anvil around should the job require it. The post is set into a hole in the dirt floor about 30'' deep and filled to just below grade with concrete. Nothing moves, wobbles, or shakes with this set up.
Don't be complacent about the long term damage from noise, protect what you have. I've worked all my life around loud machinery , logging, sawmills ,commercial fishing, carpentry and 13 years as a full time smith. I've always work good ear protection and my ears still ring.
As for the neighbors, it's best to keep the noise to ''normal'' work day hours.

A fellow Norwegian blacksmith I know had this setup with his anvil to reduce the ring:

The stand is a welded steel box filled with fine sand, and square tubing for legs. One large magnet on the underside of each horn. Absolutely no ring, just a low thud, and very stable and comfortable to work on.

Just drew that image in a hurry, I can see now that it's a bit out of proportion :P The anvil is supposed to be much larger in comparison to the stand..

7888.attach

Edited by Bendik

Inazuma,
All good suggestions so far. Go for maximum effect. First, put a peice of rubber matting under the anvil, then fab up some hold-downs that you can lag bolt your anvil down on the your stump, add chain and magnet, and that's about the best you can do for the sound production. Then think about sound propogation. I forged in front of my garage for a while and when the garage door was closed, it reflected the sound straight down the driveway, across the street and into the neighbor's front door. They never complained, but I was at the end of my driveway one time when someone else was working at the anvil and wow, it was quite loud. I went and opened the garage door, and voila! Walked back to the end of the driveway and the sound was reduced by a lot. Now I'm inside the garage, and can close the door if it's not too hot outside and my hammering at the anvil is no more obnoxious than if someone was hammering nails inside their garage. I've talked to all of the neighbors and know their work schedules and adjust my forging time accordingly. The neighbor to the south works graveyards and is sleeping on weekdays from 8am to 5pm, so no problem there. The other neighbor works a swing shift and his bedroom is on the opposite side of his house. He says he's never been woke up by my hammering so I'm good to go. Also, as some have suggested, a nice simple little gift, candle stick or flower or something will go a long way toward ameliorating any hard feelings.