I Forge Iron

Mushroomed Chisel Socket Fix

46338870-0-E8-A-4-FA3-AA6-B-8-CEE2-F3-C6563

Hi, I have two antique framing chisels, one made by George W. Underhill (founder of underhill edge tool company), and the other by George Hight of Gorham, Maine. Both have mushroomed sockets, and I was wondering if anyone here might be able to fix them. Thanks

If they are steeled wrought iron chisels I might try keeping the cutting edge cool and heating the mushroomed area to wrought iron welding heat and working it around a bick.  Most people just grind the mushroomed area down/off which shortens the socket.

Now that you have added your location, I see bringing it by my shop will be a little inconvenient.:) Like Thomas said if wrought iron I would try that. If steel I would still heat it up and work the mushrooming on a bick. Then make a brass ferrule to cover the repaired area and pin it to the new handle. I don't usually like grinding a socket down unless there is enough length to not shorten it too much. The one by Hight looks long enough to grind after working it but the Underhill would wind up with a very short socket. Both of them would look better with a ferrule IMHO. It really frustrates me when someone abuses such nice old tools because they were too lazy to make a simple handle.

We have quite a lot of members in New England area, might try contacting one of them. There is contact information here (email list).

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/169-new-england-blacksmiths-assoc/

On 6/11/2021 at 9:56 AM, ThomasPowers said:

If they are steeled wrought iron chisels 

They are steeled wrought iron. The one by George Hight has a laminated cutting edge and the entire top half of the blade on the one by George Underhill is steel, you can see a change in color where the wrought iron and steel meet.

On 6/11/2021 at 12:51 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

We have quite a lot of members in New England area, might try contacting one of them. There is contact information here (email list).

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/169-new-england-blacksmiths-assoc/

Thanks for the advice, I will try contacting some people closer to my area and see what they say

Edited by Mod30
Trim excessive quote

It looks like I need to be a member of the New England Blacksmiths Association to access the E-Mail list, do you happen to know anyone in particular I should try to message?

I was mistaken, I do not have to be a member. I posted in their forum, I’ll see if I get any responses. If not I may consider sending them to you by mail if you’re fine with that