I Forge Iron

New in North Dakota

Hi! I recently got started ( about a month in) and am based out of Minot, North Dakota for the time being. I’m excited to join this forum to learn as much as I can, and hopefully at some point get to hang out with some folks who can teach me a thing or two.

My Dad talked about when he was stationed at either Selfridge Maine or Eielson Alaska that all of the plumbing was run in gutters under the sidewalks. Work needs to be done? Drive a forklift out, hook onto the bars cast into the sidewalk pockets and lift the sidewalk up. Do the work, and replace the sidewalk. No cutting, no digging, just easy peasy.

Yeah I believe most of the system there is run in tunnels now. Makes it easier for access due to the cold. Minot hasn’t quite figured that one out yet, but it’s well maintained so we don’t have too many issues outside the freezes during the winter.

It was probably Selfridge since it was a SAC base. He said if the heat went out, they had 24 hours to get it back up, or the base would start evacuating.

Looking back today I wonder how much different my life would have possibly been if I had gone further than just talking to the recruiters. My 20 would have been up in 2003/04.  I love to travel, but rarely do so. My Dad saw all 50 states (HI and AK before statehood) and Europe during the Berlin Airlift.  But today's military service is far different than what his was.  He said he was in at a good time, and could get flights in various aircraft just by asking. TBF Avenger, P61 Black Widow, T6.... He said that guys today can wrench on a plane their whole career and never even get to go up in one.  

Yeah it was a heck of a lot different back then. I wish I would have been around to be in at that time, now it’s run like a corporate office and to be honest it’s not the greatest. We can still hop on some planes depending on where they’re going, but there are so many protocols in place for various things it’s never super fun.

Re: keeping warm from the forge:  I had a lot of people assume that my coal forge would keep me warm in Ohio. I used to point out that my wedding tackle was 18 inches from the center of the forge when it was in the 90's without problems---why did they think that my feet 36" away from the center of the forge would be kept warm in the winter?

Now the propane forge is a lot like a salamander heater and would keep the smithy nice in warm in the winter except for the fact that I keep the two 10'x10' doors open and have open gables in the smithy too.  CO poisoning is NOT in my desiderata