I Forge Iron

One more for the brain-trust to help ID

This is one of those I picked up at an auction, ThomasPowers.  It has decent rebound surprisingly, but no markings anywhere on it.  It is right at 50 pounds.  Any ideas on who might have made it and when?  I know it doesn't really matter, but I find the history interesting.  The shape of the support under the heel looks pretty unique to me. 

IMG_4018.thumb.jpg.b9284c7970fe2394c333f45188977e54.jpg

IMG_4020.thumb.jpg.9c49d509a00de79c5276c35b1ed4bfc1.jpg

Show the underside of the heel please and does the anvil ring when struck.  If there is a bolster under the hardy it may be a Badger or one of the few others that used that to support in an anvil predominately cast iron---why I asked about the ring.  Whoever reworked the face may have dropped the value of that anvil by 50%!

On 5/8/2021 at 5:36 PM, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

I would be concerned about the amount of the hardened face has been removed by milling/grinding.

That always worries me when looking at old anvils that look perfect on the face. 

Pnut

Some types of anvils start with thinner faces than others so what might be a cleanup for one can be total destruction for another.  Best not to do it as you can't know what was done to it several owners ago!   I had an anvil with fine face pitting from spending 50 years in a unheated shed in Ohio in a swampy area near a stream.  I wire brushed the rust off and started using it and not the sweet spot is gleaming and smooth just from hammering hot steel on it!