I Forge Iron

Can someone indentify this anvil?

Also the ring test.  Side exiting hardy holes are generally a sign of French anvils while the church windows goes more towards German; Alsace Loraine? (joke).  It does look old with the small bick.  As mentioned: if it passes the ring and ball bearing tests it's a good anvil and it doesn't  matter who made it!

That would be  good price even if it was 90 pounds!  At 90 kg---why isn't it in your possession already?!

I bought it. I put it on a scale at home and it only weighs 77 kg, I expected that because the seller guessed.

It has a wrought iron body and steel face, the rebound is decent and the ring isn't too deafening. The welds still seem solid too.

There are marks on it but sadly they have worn away and I can only make out a few letters.

It came from a farm in Wallonia, if it was manufactured in Belgium that might explain why it has both a church window and side hardy hole.

The only negative I have about it is that the hardy hole is rather small and goes down at an angle. For the rest I'm happy with it, cant wait to get it set up and do some forging on it.

adad.jpg

edede.jpg

drdrd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update now I've spend some time forging on it:

The face is definitely on the softer side, can be dented by misshits but its not as bas as cast iron. The sparks I saw when polishing the edges a little doesn't really look like any steel I know either.

Also this might sound strange but the face has a strange smell to it. (Yes i sniff anvils) it looks clean and I would think any kind of oil that might have been on it should have burned off by now.

Other than that it forges fine.