I Forge Iron

BTU Requirements

TwitchyReaper

Hello,

I am quite new to the blacksmithing and even newer to the forums.  I am really hoping I am not violating any of the Read First Rules.  I tried multiple searches first and wasn't having a whole lot of luck.  I was hoping to take the time to peruse the site much more and hopefully find the answer in the vast amounts of threads and knowledge in here, but my hand has been forced needing an answer so I figured I'd ask the question.  

My father and I recently got into blacksmithing after his retirement and my moving our family down to the Iowa area to be near him.  We have decided that we are going to build our own forge, (of which I believe I will be spending a lot of time in the Forge section figuring that process out).  The immediate problem I am having is that we have somehow convinced the local natural gas company to run a complete separate line and meter to our garage to supply natural gas to our garage.  But before they begin the install they need the BTU requirements of the equipment we will have in there.  Originally we were thinking about just purchasing a premade forge, but after reading a plethora of threads on here advising against that and just building our own we thought it would be better to follow that advice.  

At the current time they are able to provide us with 250,000 BTU's at the tap on the side of the garage, but we are able to go up to 500,000 if necessary.  But I have to give them a basic parameter of what we will need before they finalize the install.  That is where I am hoping to find some assistance on here to help me come up with that answer.  

Again, I apologize if this question is out of place, and I truly have been reading and learning as much from this forum as I can.  I thank anyone that is able to help and please if this question is not specific enough let me know and I will clarify in any way I can.  Thank you.

Regards,

J. Death

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Are you planning on working in winter? If so you'll want to factor in heating the garage with the added room, ventilation required by using a gas forge. Carbon monoxide is NOT YOUR FRIEND. 

Ditto the ribbon burner, a blown version. We have a couple few glass blowers who've been using various types of natural gas multiple outlet (a ribbon is one shape) burners for many years. I'm pretty sure they can give you detailed info regarding nat gas.

The flame velocity of multiple outlet burners is much lower than single outlet / nozzle burners so the flame remains IN the forge longer and transfers more energy to the forge lining which is then radiated as IR into your work where you want it. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you both for the assistance.  We have two full size garage doors one at each end of the garage.  We were considering using the garage in the winter as we have a PTAC unit in the garage as well as a wood stove.  I will definitely look into the Ribbon burners when we get close to actually putting the forge together.  Again, I appreciate the assistance very much.  Looking forward to getting more and more into the world of smithing.