I Forge Iron

What should my first project be?

OddWasTaken

Tongs are good after you have good hammer control. That usually involves doing tapers, hammering square to octagon to round then back to square and making a lot of s-hooks like Thomas said. Making them will help build muscles which help with hammer control.

Once you have the basics down then try a set of tongs, but don't be discouraged, if they don't look like you want. After you have made a couple of dozen of them they will pass the test.

In the first few weeks I made lots of s hooks, a set of fire tools, a nail header, a little punch to make the nail header (I learned the importance of keeping a punch cool too), another little punch to make the nail header, some horseshoe hearts, a loggerhead, and lots of nails. This video might help you out. https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/49180-the-big-8-blacksmithing-techniques/

The part that gave me the most trouble with tongs in the beginning was setting down and isolating the bits without a cold shut. I was using too sharp of an edge. After I radiused the edge of my anvil a little more it took care of the problem. 

Pnut

A chisel, a drift, a punch, leaves (can be a little key chain or something), lots of leaves, a coal rake (if you use coal), a fire poker... just to name a few!

Make things you'll actually use! Tools are especially useful starting out and many of them teach some of the basic techniques that will be useful on future projects.