I Forge Iron

Colonial period anvil?

Good morning,

I wanted to see if anyone might be able to date this anvil or possibly know the manufacturer. I have been looking for a colonial/early 1800s anvil for awhile, and this appears to be of that era, but thought the experts here might know better. 

Regulator 

0551167B-36A9-4391-9170-A153E8316A5F.jpeg

FC4E75F5-3F59-4F1E-A6C7-C59F2D77823D.jpeg

82EBFD51-BD02-4DE7-8EF7-92CB73BB377D.jpeg

First thing, with no location, WHOSE colonial period?  That doesn't look like a Spanish Colonial anvil; nor like the anvils in the Italian Colonization of Ethiopia in the  1930's.     Here in the USA; the Palace of the Governors was built and in use in Santa Fe NM, over a decade before the Pilgrims arrived on the eastern seaboard.

Second if it's not stamped; then there is no way to accurately identify that age an anvil to a maker as many makers made quite similar ones.

I would hazard a guess that it is English and pre 1830; the legs are not quite as small and spindlely as the earlier ones so I would guess toward the later end of the range. It also looks like a good working weight, again more towards the end of the range.

It would be a great anvil for late 18th/early 19th  demos.

Look at how large the sweet spot is on that anvil!  What does the ball bearing test show?

I think that line a bit forward of the hardy hole is where there was a faceplate weld as the old anvils had the face plate welded on in sections and the weld line often shows with long wear.

Didn't look at the vid, but generally if tapping with a hammer as you described yields a clear ring and good bounce, I consider it good in my book. The ball bearing test quantifies things a little better. Looks like a nice old girl, with a lot of life left.

Steve