I Forge Iron

Sandia Gas Forge

Ridgeway Forge Studio

Iron dragon, 

Not sure if they're still made,  but I was gifted this by a fellow Smith when I moved into a townhouse a few years ago. 

I know there were some threads about this year's ago, but since I use one daily I thought it might be nice to have some current firsthand experience. 

Here are photos of my Sandia forge.  A friend made it some (15-20) years ago.  It needs some tweaking but it works well.  I have been using it more than my coal forge lately.  Easy start up an less hassle than building a fire and tending it.  That said, I expect I will continue to use both for the foreseeable future.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

forge 01.jpg

forge 02.jpg

7 hours ago, George N. M. said:

Here are photos of my Sandia forge.  A friend made it some (15-20) years ago.  It needs some tweaking but it works well. 

The main advantage of the exhaust is that the tubes warm the propane, allegedly making it more efficient. 

I go through about one BBQ size bottle of gas every 16hrs running 10psi.

I have never used another gas forge, so nothing to compare, but at that psi I get yellow heat pretty consistently. 

I use mine for production work and especially toolmaking with spring steel, since I cannot burn the spring in my coal forge.