I Forge Iron

New Amal burner setup question

Jimmies

I actually made the forge and burner a while back (two years).... Bought the anvil at the same time... Then kids and work got in the way. 

I'm hoping to find the time to get this hobby moving but I'd like to start with the burner and making sure it is setup fairly well. I bought an Amal burner after not getting on well with a homemade version. 

Pics attached and any thoughts greatly appreciated 

20201227_144518.jpg

20201227_144506.jpg

IMG-20201227-WA0001.jpeg

Hello Mikey

At present the forge gets to 1010 deg C at an indicated 5psi....then the plastic at the near end of the probe gets soft. The gauge will go well over 20psi fully open so I would imagine that it will get hot enough.... I'm nowhere near thinking about forge welding anyway. 

What heat resistant coatings are you referring to and what would it do for me. If I remember right there are two wraps of 1 inch kaol wool with refractory cement... It is very hard and stable

There are several different kinds to choose from, but Plistex leads to pack for price and practicality. The first thing it will do for you is to protect the other refractory surfaces. including the cement that you should not have used. The second thin it will do is allow you to use less fuel.

I feel certain that you can find simple kiln wash, if nothing better.

There was a knife maker forum, which I think was out of London; if they are still around, they would be my first choice to ask questions about where to locate refractory supplies.

There are several different coatings that can do the job for you. You can do a search on this group to find out what is out there, and then search locally for them. You should find all of these 'exotic' substances wherever pottery supplies are sold.

If you can't find a kiln wash you can use bentonite mixed with fresh water to the consistency of latex paint. Be patient bentonite is weird stuff and it may take a couple days to mix lump free. It also takes quite a while to dry, a light bulb in the chamber will speed it up. Apply any kiln wash in thin coats or it's more likely to shrink check (crack) as it dries and flake off with thermal cycling.

Frosty The Lucky.