I Forge Iron

Strong Seax-ual content..the faint hearted turn away!!

JPH

Hello all....

Just finished this little wedled cable Seax. 8 1/4" fullered blade, bronze file worked bolster/pommel plates, black horn spacers and a piece of my now infamous fossil bovine ivory for a grip. OAL 13 1/2".

I tell ya..after all that my family and I have been through it is absolutely GREAT to finally be able to get back to work in the studio.

I wish to thank everyone on IForge that have written in, loending support and encouragement. I do appreciate it all..

Thank you all again...

JPH

7693.attach

• 10 months later...

Beautiful seax there. Looking at it, I just had one of my stupid "duh" moments. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to have the circular cut out (for lack of a better term) at the ricasso, then have it taper down into a hidden tang. :rolleyes: (grumbling under my breath) don't know why that was so hard.

This is important to me because I have been trying to picture it for a project that I am about to start. Thanks for the pic.

Ecart:

On the raduis ricasso...there are two ways at least to do that..what I do is I have a whole bunch of 1/2 round hot chisels I made,(looks alot like a wood gouge) with different radii that I just cut it out with...or...if you are lazy and have a small wheel grinder...You can just grind it in.....

Other than that..it's pretty uch the same as any other full hidden tang knife.

On the fuller envy...Ever since I got my fly press fullering is no long the nerve wracking opperation it was using a hand hammer. If you want to do alot of really nifty stuff that is difficult (at best) working alone using a hand hammer..a fly press is the way to go...You have so much control and you can FEEL the metal move under the press...no impact, no noise and you can actually weld under one too!!

Couple that with a good treadle hammer and you can pretty much do anything....

JPH