I Forge Iron

Pyrolized hickory nut shells.

I think I might be able to get a pretty good amount of hickory nut hulls and was wondering if anyone has any experience with making charcoal from them. They are very woody, just about the right size and may be good fuel. I was just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge. 

Pnut

Yeah I agree, I think it would work. I have never done it, but I would guess it would pyrolyze in a way that is similar to thick tree bark in that they are both thinner than a chunk of wood. When overdone, some tree bark becomes a bit too crumbly... almost like overtoasted bread. With that in mind, I would suggest pyrolyzing for maybe an hour less than a usual batch for the hulls. You can always reignite if they need more time.    

I was wondering the same thing about coking. I've never burned any but I thought they may have enough oil or sugar content to coke similar to corn. I'm hesitant to bother the guy too much about it as he's a notorious grouch in the area where I live. People seem surprised he even entertained the idea much less agreed to give them to me. The problem is it's an all or nothing deal. Take all of them or take none of them. 

Pnut