I Forge Iron

Hex bar for making tools and axes.

Hi,

I am trying to get a hold of some good steel for making top/bottom tools and possibly axes, and have come across 27 mm 42CrMo (4140 in USA) hex bars.

Would you recommend forging from hex bar as a novice smith (been at it for about half a year now), or should I wait and try to get square or round stock. I can get the Hex bar stock in question for considerably less money than online retailers (no local supplier).

Also, would 27mm hex be thick enough to create top tools and/or axes?

Thanks in advance for your reactions and time.

Take what you can get!  Hex cross section has more material than the equivalent in round, but less than square.  Still a big chunk regardless.  Pavement breaker bits I got are about that size, and good for a number of tools. 

You can make hex round fairly easy, just need to be careful with how you line it up (unless you have an appropriate round swage).

Dont think it'd be the right size for full size axes without a LOT of hammering.

2 minutes ago, HojPoj said:

Dont think it'd be the right size for full size axes without a LOT of hammering.

I thought so too, but I think it might be enough for hatchets/camp axes. I'd like to bring my own axes when I go on camp with my scouting group.

I have other HC steel and chunks of mild too for a forge welden one. So if it isn't enough for an axe I can at least make the tools from the hex bar.

Thanks for your reply!

The steel is good for the purpose, it's a matter of scale for the tools you make with it,

You could upset the end for an axe blade or use as is. If you can make a camping axe from a farriers rasp, you have more material in your hex bar, so should be able to make a decent small axe from it.

Enjoy