I Forge Iron

Rock wool vs ceramic wool

Hi,

I am new here and want to build a second a better gas forge. While looking my nearby hardware store i stumble on rock wool that is cheaper and can take up to 2150F. I know people usually use ceramic wool is there any reason people go for ceramic wool over rock wool?

Welcome aboard Purg, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you'll have the chance of hooking up with members living within visiting distance.

The interior of a propane forge typically reaches temps of or in excess of 2,600f. A 1/2" layer of even an insulating hard refractory flame face such as Kastolite does NOT prevent the blanket from reaching high temp, it can NOT reduce it 450f to make rock wool a viable alternative.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thank you for the clarification! I live in Québec , so far I have lots of problems finding material to build a proper propane forge. Alot of hardware store like home depot and rona. I struggle finding someone who can direct me or give me information on what I am looking for.

The main furnace service and supply company in Anchorage is where I get Kaowool, Kastolite 30, k-26 IFB and more. They let me have Kaowool trimmings, they can't use them and toss it out.  The service and supply place up the road from me doesn't rebuild boilers and furnaces so it only keeps a little in stock just in case. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 years later...

Welcome aboard tamosius, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a better chance of meeting up with people living within visiting distance. That and many things are strongly location dependent.  

Sharing is CARRYING?:huh: I'm unclear what you mean by that admonition but even if you meant, "sharing is caring," it's a pretty poor way to ask for help.

Did you read this entire 3 year old thread before making your . . . "request"? We did NOT tell him where to find what he needs, we told him how to find a supplier himself. Besides knowing where he found what he needs won't do you much good unless you live fairly close to him. It's pretty useless to me in Alaska as are the suppliers I buy from to him. 

Anyway, our advice is there to read, maybe give looking yourself a try before "asking" for other's suppliers?

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Also Purgator has not logged on since Feb. 5 2021 so I doubt he will see your post and if he did links to commercial sites are not allowed on the forum.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus