I Forge Iron

BSL Anvils Australia

JHCC

I just encountered online a company called "BSL Anvils Australia" that makes four sizes of London-pattern anvil from 45kg/99lbs up to 100 kg/220 lbs. They also have an interesting-looking "knifemaker's anvil" (basically a rectangular prism with one overhanging edge, which has hardy and pritchell holes) in 35kg/77lbs or 50kg/110lbs. All of these are cast in China in 1050 steel and heat treated to 57RC.

It doesn't look like these are available outside of Australia, but have any of our Down Under members used one and let us know how they are?

• 3 months later...

Hi JHCC,

I just picked one up this afternoon and I decided on the 60kg (132lbs). Its currently sitting on my coffee table waiting for steel to arrive to build a stand. The purchase was fantastic, really great people to deal with and answered so many of my questions!

I will give some feedback once I have used it a bit, however you can't go wrong for the price. 

This will be replacing my big lump of 4140 (unhardened), which will have its stand reduced in height to be a striking anvil. 

Nick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here it is after cleaning up the horn and shelf with a flap disk. I still have a bit more to do (mostly smoothing the point), however that will be easier when the stand is finished and I'm not working on the ground.

PXL_20210313_043047640.thumb.jpg.2ec2626df2c344363c40c61684a3c530.jpg

The steel has arrived for the stand, now I'm just waiting on a 16mm drill for the tie down bolt holes.

Nick.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey,

Sorry for the slow reply.

So I have only just been able to mount the anvil on the stand I made months ago. xxxx Covid lockdown meant I couldn't visit my parents farm where my forge is.

The stand is 1" plate with 3x2x1/4" legs filled with sand. It weighs nearly as much as the anvil which seems to provide great support. 

It worked out to be good timing as I got to finish the rough forging of my first hammer on it. I want to say it's fantastic, however I haven't used any other anvils (just my big block of unhardened 4140).

And of course pics.

PXL_20211125_000516314.jpg

PXL_20211125_003516072.jpg

PXL_20211125_003938207.jpg

Edited by Mod34
Inappropriate language

Hi Rojo,

I don't have a ball bearing so I haven't done that test, however it does rebound a hammer well when lightly tapped. 

The positives at this point seem to be:

-Easy to tie down with the 4 bolt holes.

-Hardness appears correct when tested (with testing files).

-Lots of mass under the commonly used area.

-Easily cheaper than other options and still half the price of a near wrecked antique anvil here in Aus.

Negatives:

-The 'as cast' finish corrodes quickly. This is easily wire wheeled off but leaves discolouration.

-Maybe not as attractive as some. 

-It took quite a while to flap disk the 'as cast' finish that was left on the horn.

-The horn it quite blunt, however I have heard that some deliberately do this to avoid injury.

-3/4" hardy hole. I could have waited for the new design with a 1", however I wanted it immediately.

I am still very happy with the purchase (especially for the price) and the weight of the combined package is still moveable whilst being solid and not wandering. 

Nick.