I Forge Iron

I've bought a new Vaughans anvil, advice/help needed please

I received my 45kg London pattern yesterday. After removing the paint I did a quick hammer and bearing test to find the area from about 1/2" horn side of hardy all the way to the heel isn't hardened. Using a file it is clear the the hardening isn't very deep on the corners or edges although they claim a 65 HRC to 16mm depth. I called them today and was told they do not harden these areas intentionally for safety/structural reasons and the softer areas/edges will not be an issue.

I am a complete noob and this is my first Anvil. Can someone advise as to the validity of their claims or am I being fobbed off with a very expensive ASO?

TIA

Dave

Welcome, Badger!

Their explanation does sound plausible, as those are areas that are more likely to chip if the face is too hard. Take a look around some of the other posts to see about proper dressing of anvil edges; that will be a good start.

If the majority of the face is hardened, you should still be in pretty good shape.

Thank you both for your replies.

JHCC, I looked at the dressing posts and have removed the sharp edges but will use it for a while before radiusing any edges.

Thomas, I did a little pounding earlier. Made a start on my first pair of tongs.

Regards

Dave

I bought an anvil from Vaughan's back in 2017. Its the same, soft heel. I spoke to the company about it and they said the same thing, which is that they don't harden the heel. Its really not a problem in my opinion, the face is hard and thats where you are doing all the work for the most part. Use it as it was intended to be used and it will last a life time