I Forge Iron

Where do you buy fluorspar?

Nick,

Yes, fluorite is the same as fluorspar, CaF2.  Before suggesting a source we need to know what you plan to do with it.  If you are planning to use it for jewelry or some other decorative purpose you probably want some sort of attractive fluorite crystals.  If you want it for some sort of chemical or industrial purpose you may just want some sort of concentrate with a high F concentration.

This is sort of an odd question for a black smithing forum unless you have a possible use in a metal working context.

BTW, I was once Mine Surveyor and Asst. Mine Geologist at the Northgate Fluorite Mine, Jackson County, CO but that was a long time ago.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Highly Toxic Fumes is a severe understatement! 

Do you mind paying international shipping and any hazmat fees associated?  Even online; LOCATION makes a difference!

I'm afraid I would not be willing to share source info on a public forum where people not cautious and careful might try it and suffer the effects!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm replying to my own question so that someone with the same question might have an easier time finding this information than I did.

1. what is fluorspar? 

-fluorspar is the same as fluorite. Fluorite is the mineral form of calcium fluoride, CaF₂.

2. where do you buy fluorspar?

-fluorspar is available at some pottery supply stores, its used in making glazes.

- it can also be bought on amazon, listed as "1-Lb Assay Fluorspar for Gold Recovery-Flux-Smelting-Thinner" sold by "make your own gold bars"

Edited by Nick1996
Remove commercial link.