I Forge Iron

How can I free a seized cone clutch

I hope I'm in the right part of the forum. I have a belt driven Samuel Platt Goliath. Had a few days off, came in this morning, pressed the starter - belt not moving but Motor running fine then I noticed the clutch was fully engaged and I cannot seem to shift it. Don't want to be too heavy handed as it's cast iron. Any ideas please. I've added a couple of images showing front and rear.

DSCF4779.JPG

DSCF4781.JPG

Get a solvent in  and heat the outer piece *gently*  (think hair dryer not torch.)  Any way to be able to mount bar clamps to allow you to pull them apart with a gentle measured application of force?  Do you have a lead hammer?  Can you go around the rim with a soft brass rod and hammer and tap around it---while having some force applied to the clutch return. (Adding an extra spring perhaps?).

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Get a solvent in  and heat the outer piece *gently*  (think hair dryer not torch.)  Any way to be able to mount bar clamps to allow you to pull them apart with a gentle measured application of force?  Do you have a lead hammer?  Can you go around the rim with a soft brass rod and hammer and tap around it---while having some force applied to the clutch return. (Adding an extra spring perhaps?).

Thank you, it worked. Brass rod seemed to absorb the impact so I ended up using some mild steel bar and a copper hammer and it just popped apart. Really appreciate your help I'd anticipated having to strip the top down and using some serious heat with a puller.

4 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

Are you sure it is the clutch that is seized, or could it be stuck on area that it slides on?

Yes, clutch was seized but free now. I did check after you commented as I hadn't considered that it may have stuck on the shaft. Thank you for the thought, I shall bear that in mind for the future.

these clutches certainly need oil, but not very much. I found that adding a drop to the top of the inner cone every day i used it seem'd to work very well much more and it just span less and it would over grip. also worth checking that the clutch engagement ring isnt too worn if its very sloppy it may not pull the outer cone back easily.

Thank you basher. I have been very liberal with oil lately, due to it thinning and running out with the hot weather we've had. Perhaps, now it's gone cooler I need to go back to just a small amount. The clutch engagement ring is sloppy. I assumed this was used solely for engagement and centrifugal force threw the clutch out but from what you say it also disengages the clutch?