I Forge Iron

Second stock removal knife

Potato-Demon

I’m not very good at making knives so I always like to practice a design by first making it out of mild steel. I then make the “good” version from o1 or whatever. This particular knife is my second stock removal knife. The handle is oak with hidden steel pins and the blade is some mystery (probably mild, it doesn’t stay sharp long) steel I bought at a hardware store. This was my first time doing hidden pins. I didn’t bother polishing the blade much because I liked the look. I did a pretty bad job on the bevels. 

4D261F37-26AF-4757-AAA1-74E1DC7E832A.jpeg

Uh, Tater. Writing a long subject in bolded all caps is REALLY annoying and worse it more likely to get deleted without being read. The ONLY reason I'm this far into your post is to suggest you use a little restraint with your subject titles. It'll also keep you off the moderator's radar, you don't want to be on their "watch" list.

Thanks, Frosty The Lucky.

Pretty much the only decent knifemaking steel you can generally get from a hardware store is to by a file from a good brand.  Of course I source the same files used for 20 UScents a pound at the scrapyard...

If you want some inexpensive steel to play around with knifemaking when you get to forging; I like automotive coil spring. Cut it down a diameter and get a bunch of ( sections that are easy to work with and generally are a decent knifemaking steel so you can practice forging and heat treating  HighC Steel!

If you're referring to the springs that are about 3/4 inch thick and 3 inches wide I don't recommend working those by hand.  However, if you split them in half lengthwise so you're dealing with about 1.5 inches by .75 inches they are significantly easier to work with.