I Forge Iron

Lincoln E 50 anvil

Quartz

I've been offered an anvil with the markings Lincoln E 50, it seems like it's cast and 50 most likely refers to 50kg. 

I'd like to know if these are good anvils, since I haven't been able to find anything about Lincoln anvils. 

Thanks for your time. 

Frazer, I'm afraid I couldn't make a photo, but I can describe it further. 

It had a horn and a tapered section on the other side of the face. Had a hardy hole of about 2cm and a pritchel hole, both centered. The surface of the metal was rough all around. 

It had a square stud below to attach it. 

It is in Spain, so I guess the E in the markings might be for España. 

Never heard of that brand before; however try the ring test and ball bearing test.  If they "pass" then it's a good anvil no matter who made it. If they fail then not a good anvil even if plated with platinum and studded with diamonds.  (I rate the ball bearing test percentages as: 70's OK; 80's Good and 90's excellent!)

Unfortunately I didn't have a bearing ball to test it, I'll see if I can find one before I see it again. 

And about the ring test, I did test how it sounded but wasn't sure how to interpret it. 

Being a one piece cast anvil, would there be a noticeable diference between cast iron and cast steel? I thought the ring test was mostly to check if the face was properly attached.