I Forge Iron

List of online mild steel vendors?

My 3 local metal suppliers (Westbrook, Metals4U, Manchaca) don't carry some things I am looking for or require buying an entire sheet of plate when I only need 2 sqft. One thing I haven't been able to find near me is somewhere that sells steel plate (1") in less than sheet size.

Does anyone have an online list of steel vendors they could share? Or point me to a link on this forum that discusses where to buy steel online? I'm sure a number of smiths on this forum have their "go to" list of favorite suppliers?

Where do you buy cheap mild steel (plate, tube, rod, etc)? Any tips?

Good luck finding ANYBODY willing to cut and sell less than a sheet, especially thick plate. Ask the supplier who buys the plate you're looking for and give THEM a call. 

There isn't much cheap steel as in less than market for new stock. Very few scrap yards allow public sales anymore, almost all are operating on single buyer contracts and breach is a B A D thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

This is about as close to what you are looking for. Just have to get on the phone and call them. I have found that shipping on heavy stuff is so expensive, I can buy whole sheets from my local supplier and save the part I don't use for the next project.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/31605-supplier-list/

Thank you IFW! That list is darn close to what I was thinking of and is a great resource.

Buying new is going to carry the price no way around that. Anyone have advice on scrap yards, or how to find used steel in your area? Any tips on sniffing out leftover steel? I've only bought new, so I don't know the ropes of hunting for scrap.

Why yes; ask the local abana affiliate members where to find steel like you need.  Asking folks who may be in the Antipodes to you isn't all that useful.  Balcones Forge is around your area IIRC.

OTOH if you are out thisaway my local scrapyard has some 1" plate you might talk them into cutting a piece for you.

Also local machine shops, dozer repair, places that might use 1" plate but not need all they had to buy...

Waiting to see when COVID relaxes and Balcones Forge starts having regular monthly meetings again which would be great exposure for my 5 yr old. Until then their FB and webpage have been wonderful resources so thanks for that smart tip. Go local! Duh.

Finding local is the issue. We once had a fellow here claim that there were no smiths in his area---until he found out that the President of the local ABANA affiliate lived 1/2 mile down the same road he lived on...

Do you have safety glasses or a face shield for your 5 year old yet? (Or *both*!)

UPDATE: While web crawling I found an online link that others may also find useful: Link removed per TOS

For now he stands in the corner of the shop with headphones on and shade 5 glasses, and can't move until given permission. He gets bored in about 10 minutes then goes and finds trees to whack with a stick...he likes to sweep up metal shavings with a magnet on the end of a file at the end of the day which is quite the help.

I am taking local classes that have been thus far tools and home items (e.g. profile pic). I am looking for scrap now to build an anvil stand, with the longer term goal to finish the shop in time to start making knives with my son in a few years, and attend local meetings when they are allowed again. Still time there on the knives, but for now I am working on tooling and building the shop while I continue the classes on the basics.

My first home "projects" after the anvil stand will be to complete the "Controlled Hand Forging" lessons to break everything in and start working outside the scope of classes.

safety_first.jpg

Have you started him driving nails?---with PPE of course.  Good hammer/eye coordination practice and when it comes time to build forts/play houses he'll be ready to help.  A sacrificial chunk of timber a good hammer and 5 pounds of 16penny nails can eat up a lot of time.

Don't make the mistake my Father did. He showed me how to use the bench grinder by grinding the head off a nail. So, not may days later while he was at work I ground the heads off :o all of his nails. BOY was he happy I saved him all that work, he was so happy all he could do was sputter his gratitude. :blink:

Later Mother told me nails are SUPPOSED to have heads and I was NOT supposed to do anything in the shop unless Dad was there and that is why its locked.

Remember to consider unintended consequences when you teach your boy. Kids understand more than people think but remember it all. Later on your words will come to him in a moment of need and the light will dawn.

Frosty The Lucky.