I Forge Iron

Help date/identify my anvil

I picked up an anvil that I thought was a Hay Budden but the serial # doesn’t fall in the date range I’m seeing on the Internet. (A1 - 57,000)

mine says A106883

on the front there’s a diamond shaped logo.   Left side of the base says 200. 

C295D2D9-05F2-477D-A83F-9392DC719273.jpeg

00E49E9E-57A5-4317-90AD-4848CEB71053.jpeg

Anvils In America dates your anvil to 1912.  That year Columbus Forge & Iron Co made 7,999 anvils with yours being one of them.  The last serial number that year was listed as 114000.  I'd like to see a closer picture of the diamond logo though.  That looks a little low on the anvil.  It should say Trenton inside that diamond.  I hope that helps.

As I recall Trenton anvils started out with flat bottoms, went to hourglass indentations and ended up with caplet indentations.

Hay Buddens have an Hourglass indentation, though early ones can be worn almost flat---I have one that's worn that way.

A lot of anvils have flat bottoms with or without a handling hole.

If you are really into the differences "Anvils in America" by Richard Postman is *the* research book on them.  He also wrote a companion book just on Mousehole anvils.

Thanks for the info guys, I was convinced it was a Hay Budden.  
I have a few anvils I have to decide which to keep for my only one.   I’m a woodworker but I’ve always wanted one, I want to learn a little metal working to incorporate into my work. 
I have a 250 lb Henry wright

this 200lb trenton

a smaller but nice 175lb Peter Wright and a really nice condition 228lb Peter Wright that looks like it was hardly touched or repaired.   Surprisingly my hall bearing shows the last one I like the most has the lowest rebound. 

5A5E16A9-5864-4206-BF5F-31970EEC5068.jpeg

Use actually hardens an anvil face; it's called work hardening.  Also the larger the old anvil generally the softer it is as an artifact of the hardening process.  So why the surprise? 

The biggest "softeners" for anvils are structure fires---fairly common back when cooking and heating was done by fire and folks grinding/milling through the hardened faceplate thinking making an anvil look "flat, smooth and pretty" increases it's value, (when actually it can cut the value in half or worse!)