I Forge Iron

Yeah... I’m thinkin’ I’m back.

So back in the day (even though today is THE DAY) I was a youngish artist metal craftsman before computers. Dial telephones art fairs and campus bulletin boards (real actual cork boards) seemed a good way to get the word out on your craft. Then came online bulletin boards through my old 286 personal computer and the lurker/craftsman Apacheforge came into being. Since those days I have learned a lot unlearned a great deal, and maybe got a little smarter. I have my workshop in the forests of Puget Sound. It’s smallish but contains a basic weld shop, smithy, foundry, wood shop, and machine shop. Here I create things that feed my interests in wooden boats, live steam, artillery, Musical instruments, and thing mechanical. Let’s have some fun!

Welcome aboard... We won't remember that once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location as so many answers depend upon knowing where you are located. There is a thread Read This First up in the blue banner that will help you navigate the forum with lots of good tips.

On 7/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Howdy; were you on rec.crafts.metalworking before the RFP for a blacksmithing sub group? A few of us Dinosaurs still around...

Yes i was. At that time i was working R&D for Airco in their optical coatings department which among other things developed flat screen technology. So if you are using a laptop, iPad or flat screen tv, you’re welcome. When i joined that team, i was transitioning out of a fine arts career into an industrial/ engineering career. Been a fun ride.

I was working for Bell Labs, so if you use anything with transistors or integrated circuits or run off UNIX; you're welcome!  (My Father did some of the early work on Cellular Radio that is now applied to Cell Phones too; I was a 2nd gen Labber.) I transitioned from being a Geologist to CIS.