I Forge Iron

Earplugs with Bluetooth?

A number of PPE threads mention using either earbuds under earmuffs or earmuffs with build-in speakers (either corded or Bluetooth). Does anyone here have experience with the newer generation of earplugs that combine Bluetooth with hearing protection? Any recommendations?

I have seen one Walkers Game ear for hunting. They are expensive though, never tried them. I asked my audiologist about them with my hearing aids and he was strongly opposed to their use in high noise situations. I thought I could just turn off the hearing aids and use them with ear muffs.

I have yet to try a set of buds that do an adequate job of noise reduction. The claims of noise reduction are maybe "technically" "true":rolleyes: they do muffle sound some. I got a pair of Bose bluetooth, noise canceling ear muffs for Christmas and they're sweet. The Bluetooth signal gets blocked a lot, I think it's interference but it's frustrating when my Kindle is 18" away. No blocked signals using the patch cord. They do an excellent job of blocking LOUD sounds in the shop, and they're light and comfy compared to my "Howard Leight" Am, Fm, muffs. The Howard Leights are almost sound studio quiet, if they only weren't so heavy and tight. 

But, No buds I've run across are worth spit for hearing protection.

Frosty The Lucky. 

The problem I run into is that my head is so big that earmuffs don’t fit well, especially when I’m wearing my kaffiyeh, respirator, and face mask. 

I’m currently looking at some earbuds by Elgin called “Ruckus” that are designed for shop use. Kevlar fiber on the cord between the ears and the control, and they have a 25 NRR. About $60. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update: I have worn these a number of times in the shop over the last month, and they are quite good. Certainly no worse than regular ear plugs. They're quite comfortable and the sound quality is very good indeed. It's nice to be able to leave my phone plugged into the charger while I work. Haven't had any issues with interference from motors etc. 

Anyone have success with any other brands?

• 6 months later...

My Sony noise canceling earmuffs with bluetooth are great, though I usually wire them into my phone or Ipod directly.  I've also started using Samsung bluetooth earbuds, though they cut out appreciably less noise, the sound and comfort is better.  I may experiment with casting some replacement custom inserts similar to those I've used in the past to better fit them to my ears with additional noise isolation.  The current inserts are comfortable and hold well, but the custom ones seal out more noise.  I can't remember the name of the product offhand, but it is a two part closed cell foam that you mix together and let set right in your ear for a perfect fit.  If you put the buds in while setting they match up pretty well.  Folks who are into shooting sports use them.

Just as a follow-up, I'm still using the Elgins in the shop all the time. They do occasionally decide that they don't like the heat of the forge and will cut out for a while, especially if their battery is low. Otherwise, they do a great job, and they don't get in the way of any other headgear (sweat rag, face shield/welding mask, safety glasses, respirator, etc) the way over-the-ear protectors can.

I have Sync, am fm by Howard Leight with a cable connection and they produce studio quality sound in a noisy shop but they squeeze my shingle head skin too much to wear very long. My Bos noise canceling blue tooth head phones are light, sound great and I don't need a wire. Both head sets allow enough sound through to safely work in the shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 year later...