I Forge Iron

Old Post Vise - Relocate and Clean Up?

FeyWest

I've used lots of bench vises, however, I had seen this "Vise" in my Girlfriend's Father's garage at the farm and thought to myself "Huh that's kind of a neat vise, never seen that before" while I had been looking for a wrench or something. Then while I was listening to the ForgeCast podcast on Spotify trying to engorge myself in everything blacksmithing as I start my own journey in smithing, and they had mentioned how important and helpful a leg/post vise was for blacksmithing and that they tended to be hard to find. Looked up an image of a post vise and holy crap that's the type of vise in the garage!

Long story short, I inspected it a bit further and other than a missing sliding Tee-handle that's been rickshawed with a large nut (I think or maybe the original handle is just missing), it still works wonders. Even with the missing handle the screw turns easily by hand, thought I'd share my little story and see if there's any tips for mounting and potential repair items I need to look at before using it.

1026719830_PostVise.jpg.e203c0fdab0d4b12ee50ead9557440fb.jpg

I'll try to get some more pictures this weekend. I really enjoy seeing everyone's vintage vises and other cool tools browsing this sub-topic! 

Make him and his wife something nice, that's a very nice score. I can't think of a girlfriend's parents that wanted to give me anything but a load of buckshot. Ah, not really almost all my girlfriends were very nice, it made me kind of suspicious they just wanted the daughter to move out. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Has only taken about 4 years of long, arduous effort to get well within their good books. I count myself very lucky hahah probably helps I’m pretty handy around the place and know what he likes to drink. :lol:

Pretty darned cool stuff in there, if you like I can come over and scrounge up some long lost items, post vises, anvils, etc... for you! ;):ph34r:

Oh and trust me Frosty I’m sure there’s bound to be lots of birthdays, Christmas’s of hand crafted goods to go around. Just have to get some free time now! And you make a fair point there... hmmmmm.

Every barn I've ever seen needs a good cleaning. Just don't try too hard, loving and being good their daughter usually breaks down the hardest hearts. And once you're all family, things start going well. Farms are good living, hard work to be sure but good living. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Shoot I've been dropping tools onto my step-son-in-law for years; I think he's getting a postvise next trip to Arkansas...

Nothing like an 8# sledge in one hand and a piece of burning steel in the other to spice up the "tell me your intentions" talk...