I Forge Iron

Kiln refractory guidance

Ok I know this post is not in the right category but I couldn't find a category for kilns but this category is similar to kilns. Now to the post, In my recent posts I mentioned I needed to find a blower for my kiln, well I found one now and that was one item of the list. Now I'm trying to line either the inside or outside of my kiln with refractory cement diy or store bought. I need a refractory cement that can withstand 3000 degrees Fahrenheit because I'm firing pottery that requires 2500 degrees so why not have a cement for 3000. I do need a durable cement that can last long. I dont know if steel wool would reinforce the cement if I were to make my own. But if someone knows a good long lasting refractory cement recipe that can withstand 3000 degrees please let me know. I know it wont last forever that's why I will be ofcourse changing it. I provided photos of a smoker grill with measurements soon to be a kiln, Dont laugh. I'm using lump charcoal to fire clay like a charcoal blast furnace. I included a photo of the flue being measured from base and the photo with the calipers is being measured in mm. I dont know why it was in mm but owell. I hope all this info helps so some one may help me. 

Screenshot_20200501-215614_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215556_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215544_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215540_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215534_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215532_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215521_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20200501-215513_Messages.jpg

Samuel. NO CEMENT! Refractory cement or mortar is for sticking things together say brick. It is NOT suitable as a flame face in any furnace, be it forge or kiln. Cements will degrade quickly.

Buy a 3,000f castable refractory.

If you can't stop saying refractory cement then someone WILL sell you refractory cement and your kiln will be very short lived. Just get the word CEMENT or MORTAR out of your mind.

Frosty The Lucky. 

I stopped trying to make my own refractory liner a long time ago, I buy stuff that works first time every time. Try the paper yellow pages and a phone, look for HVAC or Furnace service and supply companies. Ceramic supply shops are a lot more expensive but may be the only thing available where ever you are.

Frosty The Lucky. 

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

I stopped trying to make my own refractory liner a long time ago, I buy stuff that works first time every time. Try the paper yellow pages and a phone, look for HVAC or Furnace service and supply companies. Ceramic supply shops are a lot more expensive but may be the only thing available where ever you are.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Theirs no phone books nowadays. I dont know what era you were thinking. Can you at least point me to the right refractory or industrial  refractory with the specifications I need. 

I have the 2019-2020 phone book literally within reach and will get notified when the 2020-2021 comes out. There is always a stack at the: Post office, the UPS store, FedX store, any phone company office. 

Look, if it's too much trouble for you to even put your general location in your header why do you expect someone else to hunt things up it for you? Tell you what, drop by I'll take you where I buy refractories. Lunch is on you.

The era I'm living in is one where a person who won't help himself isn't getting far.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Oh I'm helping myself bud, its people who are not giving 100% info not pointing fingers. And the state i live in is Illinois. I dont know why my location matters or anyone's location matters on here. But I'm doing this project well within my private property and ofcourse away from trees. 

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote

It matters, because this is a worldwide forumn.

Theres a guy the other day asking for advice on welders, he was in the UK... I'm in ohio. So me telling him to go down to bakers propane and welding supply is useless to him. Now, on the other hand- I could prolly tell you I'd found a good place in south bend Indiana that might help you... if I had. The reason for them asking you to update your info with your location is just that. In six months, this thread will be buried, and someone again will be asking where you're from. If it's in your info, as it is now- they can just click on your icon and see it.

Now, refractories. What you're trying to do is kind of a crossover from the norm here as blacksmiths. I'm not saying it's a dumb thing, or a reason not to ask here... but terminology being a standard for communication is important. What you're asking- might not be understood... properly.

We're talking dangerous stuff here. 2500 degrees is enough to seriously injure if not kill if something goes wrong. Isn't that enough of a reason to properly understand a question, or an answer?:unsure:

Theres guys here who get frustrated when you ask the same question thirty other guys already asked- without even trying to look for it. I get that. But I'm a newbie too, and I'm more patient... it helps to learn. Be patient.

what you're looking for is prolly here.

used-

Hell's Forge Hellcote 3000 Refractory Cement for Ceramic Fiber Blankets -

in building my forge. I got it on amazon, two 5lb packages was enough to coat my forge, and then some. The above is the exact description from the item I ordered on amazon, you can search using it.

In my opinion- this is not something worth skimping on. To me, its protecting you and your property from a potential extreme fire hazard. That product is designed to be used over a ceramic wool blanket like normally used in a forge. The wool is a great insulator, versus a "heat sink" like a brick, or cast refractory wall... so it helps your forge or kiln- retain heat and heat up faster and last longer with less fuel. It can also be cast- but at the expense... that's a lot.

I think that's the misunderstanding in terminology. You wouldnt believe how many guys ask about using regular "cement" or making cement or even using plaster to line or make forges from. It's literally apples and oranges from real refractory, and can cause dangerous conditions- like stones in the cement exploding from heat.

There are many people here with a wealth of information to glean. How you use it, and how you ask for it is important... as you may have to figure out how to live- after you tried doing it.

Edited by Welshj