I Forge Iron

corkscrews. a small project

Awrksmokey

I attempted a corkscrew. A few things went wrong. I didn't do enough research, and after watching Mark Aspery's video I now realized that this design isn't what people usually do. Also I didn't realize the handle part was actually wrought iron, so there's a significant crack and one of the ends split a bit, and I miscalculated the hole size I punched so the fitup isn't great. But it was actually a ton of fun, and I'm going to try to perfect my corkscrew making skills and make a better one. Or two. Here's the pics of the first: 

6E64333A-14AF-4415-8DAE-A0B76A6DE4F4.jpg

9A35E379-8DD5-4F70-8E5D-AA774659CF8B.jpg

C719A05E-B061-4709-AAF5-51430B6D84DB.jpg

417C07D3-B47C-4D88-AA24-27205DC754E3.jpg

0E8EEFCA-DB6C-4BED-B770-EEB383C947C7.jpg

I also etched it for over 24 hours, I just think my acid is weak haha

The first part of attemp #2: 

it’s going much better this time. I’m doing a mono steel construction like the one I saw in mark aspery’s video. The screw part is a bit wonky but I’ll fix it when I get more fuel. My only problem so far is that I punched the hole a bit too big again. I could fix this by tapping it in a bit more from the top, but I like how the loop is looking now... I’ll decide tomorrow what I want to do :) unless you guys have any ideas?

427079F4-7E96-48C1-B2CD-35D17C128420.jpeg

2481B873-295B-4F87-A788-8C2299557ED7.jpeg

D741E8EC-D2D5-4FAE-B419-C8F8797476B2.jpeg

Heat it to low red, chill the part that penetrates the handle and GENTLY tap the mortise section more tight. It will shrink and become tighter provided the tenon section is cooler when it's hammered closed. 

Does that make sense? Forge brazing is a good option and easier to explain. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes, i understand. I might try forge brazing (it seems like a lot of fun), but I haven't been able to get more fuel, so i may need to do the other option with my small propane torch. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more fuel soon. thanks for the input!

• 3 weeks later...

Well i sort of finished it. I ended up tapping it a bit more until it fit like Frosty suggested but I would like to try forge brazing at some point. Anyway, this is what it ended up looking like. I do think the first style i tried could be very interesting, so I'm planning on giving that some more tries until I can get it perfect. 

Screen_Shot_2020-05-06_at_10_34.40_PM.png

Those are wall hangers to remind you where you were when you first started them, now make many more and you'll get better, then you can compare them and see your progress.

Keep it up - it'll you'll get there.

Practice is the only way.

The first picture you posted, the first think I noticed was the fractures at the point of where you started the transition of square to round - definitely a break point if used.

Sharp corners on and anvil or anvil shaped object will/or can cause this - this is why a radiused corner is preferred on an edge of the anvil, or one can use the horn with a rounding hammer to create the same smooth transition.

Keep at it and show your results.  :-)