I Forge Iron

Anvil ID assistance Please

Hello All,

I got into blacksmithing about 6 years ago, I have found that I haven't had the time to really do it. so Im working on selling my stuff.

I don't know how to identify the Anvil. I did a little searching on the fourm and didn't see anything that looked like the markings on my anvil, but I don't have much to work with.

There are some faint markings on the side, maybe someone can make something of them? Does anyone speak Beat-up-metal? :)

I believe the anvil is about 400lbs, but not certain.

Follow up question: reasonable pricing estimate for the anvil pictured?

Thanks,

Dave

1.thumb.jpg.14b83a1676e990b48b9e5c506b79603e.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.3f1d07f03855fc3e75a1b927e4246274.jpg2.thumb.jpg.76e84bbc1d6ca200eb837d3a9e435d33.jpg

Weight: 3  2  20  CWT = 336 + 56 + 20 = 412 pounds. Old anvils may vary a couple of pounds from their stamped weight.

Are there flats on the top of the feet where the anvil is fastened to the stump?.  If so; high probability it's a  Peter Wright. (Flats, CWT, Swale, Patent?)

Price:  Cheaper in England, more expensive in Australia; which of the 100+ countries that participate here on the World Wide Web is it in? (Shoot just what part of the USA it might be in can change the price by US$1 a pound or more!)

Rub all the places that seem to have letters or numbers with chalk. That will reveal a bit more. 

It looks like  Peter Wright to me, but from those photos I am not sure.

Price will depend from location. That would fetch 3000 + in Australia

I just noticed the word wrought on the side, and sice PW is the one that crows about using wrought iron (to it's detriment) it is most likely a PW.

It is a common brand, and a good workhorse that no one would turn away. What else do you have to sell? 

Well I plan to advertise my 248# PW with a  more edge damage in the Albuquerque Craigslist for about  US$4 a pound pretty soon.  Just need to haul it to the house and clean it up. 

Have you talked with the New Mexico Artist Blacksmith Association about posting it on their for sale page?

I have 2 post vices

a small spoon swage block

a larger (I think 18" x18") swage block

some custom hammers (I cant remember what metal the guy said they were made from)

Set of custom punchs

hand full of tongs (various levels of quality)

a little crank coal forge

A home made treadle hammer

and a pile of attachments for the anvil

You will have no problem selling your tools, the price factor is the only unknown. I noticed a small drop in prices in general comparing to a few years ago.

i think the heat has come off the market as people start selling. I hope you get good money for them anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Marc1 said:

You will have no problem selling your tools, the price factor is the only unknown. I noticed a small drop in prices in general comparing to a few years ago.

i think the heat has come off the market as people start selling. I hope you get good money for them anyway. 

Thank you! 

Id love to keep them for when I retire, but I haven't used them in a couple years, and got some rental property I want to work towards paying off. 

I have contacted another blacksmith here in ABQ and a friend of mine makes swords, so hopefully between them I can get some reasonable price. 

Thank you guys for your quick responses!

now I just need to get all my ducks in a row for what I am selling

5 hours ago, cooperstock said:

Albuquerque New Mexico, USA

Welcome aboard... We won't remember your location once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show it. This thread will help you get the best out of IFI.    READ THIS FIRST

From one picture, I can just make out PETER ( could be patented) so I also think it is a Peter Wright.

You might consider listing some of your stuff here in the Tailgating section. That will give you one more outlet (be sure to read the rules for listing).

https://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/16-tailgating-buy-sell/

It doesn't look like much is there now because once something is sold the listing is removed.

I see the "PATENT" above the "SOLID WROUGHT" circle, that and CWT rating. 

Hard to tell if it has the benches.  

Looks Peter-ish to me.

I'd take TP's advice, it sounds like NM is fairly tool-poor, so it would be nice to keep it local!

On 2/14/2020 at 12:46 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Are there flats on the top of the feet where the anvil is fastened to the stump?.  If so; high probability it's a  Peter Wright. (Flats, CWT, Swale, Patent?)

There are flats where the Anvil is clamped down to the base.

20200216_125629.jpg

1581886834110.jpg

On 2/14/2020 at 6:47 PM, CtG said:

I'd take TP's advice, it sounds like NM is fairly tool-poor, so it would be nice to keep it local!

I hope it gets to stay local, I have found two locals interested, both of which without any money. but its only the first weekend I attempted to sell anything so we will see where it all goes.