I Forge Iron

Calf leather for an apron ? or not strong enough

KingAether

Not sure where else i could post this.. Went on the weekly charity shopping rounds at the weekend and struck it lucky with a few leather jackets that even still had the retail labels, One was extremely expensive RRP and fit perfect so its safe for now but the other i just brought for the material. Its a XXL calfskin leather coat, it wears pretty much like a knee length gown on me when buttoned up but the shoulders are far to wide to work with so it would need modifying at the very least. With that i figured i'd go the whole mile and make a much better apron than the current silverline one i own now but i'm not so sure about the material. Would it be enough to resist the occasional bit of hot metal and grinding or is it to soft for the job, does anyone know? Or maybe i could sell it and buy a hide but i'd rather not the hassle.
Thank you 

A lot of leather is barely so..split so thin it's like paper and then glued to a synthetic substrate to make it seem like it's still leather.  That's what most of upholstery leather is these days as well as most clothing leathers.  That backer would NOT be good for hot work as it tends to be synthetic and could melt dangerously.

Can't say your coat is that but I wouldn't bother finding out.  Find a fat giant who needs a leather coat that big and pass it along.

Not sure what one can get in the UK but there is a leatherwork chain store in the USA which has branches all over as well as internet sales.  They can have really good sales on hides to make your own goods.  Not cheap but you could make something superior that'd last a lifetime.

Or..the cheap china tool store as well as some others in the USA sell leather full aprons that are not bad at all.  They aren't particularly expensive and are quire serviceable.  Possibly the UK version of those stores also does.

Confirms what i thought Kozzy, thank you. We have plenty of chinesium tool stores here, the silverline apron i have is really great for the price, at least once i added a better brace, but you can only expect so much for £$10 free delivery. I know a few leather workers who could probably supply good price hide so ill go that route, just thought i might get away with what i have.

Good Morning,

I made a long Apron c/w leg straps from a Moose Hide that I had tanned (extremely supple). I purchased a leather apron from a Leather worker friend. I have multiple cheap leather aprons from the bargain welding supply store. My Apron of choice for general work is a Denim Apron I purchased from a Bar-B-Que supply store. A leather apron is only a better choice if you are doing a lot of Fire-Welding and are using Flux. just my $0.02

Neil

I have a giant thigh length leather coat that has a rip in the sleeve that I'm planning on turning into an apron. Like you it's way too big for me besides the rip but it's made from quality leather. If you're coat isn't too thin it would make a fine apron but you may be better off selling it. Some leather jackets are pretty pricey but there's a big difference in the thickness and quality of the leather between a box store $89 leather jacket and a $400 leather jacket from a leather goods store. So I guess it depends on how thick the leather is on your jacket as to if it's suitable or if you think you can sell it for enough to get the apron you want and don't mind waiting however long it takes to sell it.  One more thought, if it is thin leather have you considered stitching it to a canvas or denim apron? 

Pnut