I Forge Iron

The joy of simple tools

Hello.
Yesterday I finally took one minute (literally) and made myself what in glassblowing is called a yoke. It's one of this y shaped things which allows you to support long pieces of work in the forge, without it falling out. It is amazingly useful. I can finally make multiple 3 foot toasting forks, or shepherd's hooks at a time, it's soooo useful, and makes forging more pleasurable, not having to balance things in the forge.

What are some simple tools which you have made, which madea huge difference in your forging?

be merry,
Archie

I've generally heard it called a "third hand".

When we built a gasser from an old O2 tank I welded on some sq tubing on both sides so I could slide a piece of 3/8" sq stock with the end bent so it would go across the front of the forge and one for the rear of the forge on the other side. It's a *heavy* forge and so can generally take the stock I use without tipping.

I built the extending stock support on my new gasser to run out about 16". The rest itself is a firebrick and 4 1/2" wide so the total rest length is about 20-21".

Below that I built an extending tong rack that can be flipped over to extend the stock support another 10" or so. The attached pic shows the stock rest and tong rack extended a ways. The tong rack's right side up in the pic.

This set up is copied on the opposite side if I need to heat the centers of long stock. Overall with both rests and racks extended it's about 78".

I have a couple helpers I can set up if that isn't enough.

Frosty

7235.attach

I have gotten to where I don't usually have the time to make the tools I need. It's all I can do right now to make the product. I have a fella at my blacksmith guild make the tools for me.

Little things like bending jigs bent U-shaped for hooks or eyes I do on the spot.

Ya don't get paid if the product ain't made!

Me too. Part of it is the longevity of the work. Once a product is finished it's done. A tool lives on as you use it.

I get a great deal of satisfaction from a tool or piece of equipment that does what I wanted when I thought it up.

Frosty