I Forge Iron

• 2 weeks later...

Looks to me like a Frankenstein fix to a cheaper anvil.  That plate on top looks like it was welded (sort of) on top of the anvil after the original face fell off and that another piece was welded above the waist where perhaps there was some imperfection there???  Not much else we can tell you without seeing some numbers or letters giving us a clue as to the maker.  

• 2 weeks later...

That "repair plate" was masking put over the name on the side of the real anvil when it was used as a pattern.

This ASO (Anvil Shaped Object) was then cast from that pattern.

As it was a low grade of casting and full of holes, they attempted to make it usable by putting a steel plate on the face when cast.

There was a sophisticated method of doing this by several reputable companies. This example was not made by one of them.

For a collector of name brand anvils, it would have no real value exept as a curiosity.

If it is at all usable as an anvil, then you did well for $1.00/lb. Enjoy it in good health, and if you are seriously still engaged in blacksmithing in a year or two, upgrade to a better anvil.

BTW, the NCABANA meeting is this Saturday outside of Raleigh. The great Jerry Darnell is demoing. PM me for directions if you want to go.