I Forge Iron

Problem with a ribbon burner forge, flame lift-off?

Tobias

Hi guys,

I built myself a ribbon burner forge and although it ran quite well in the beginning, the burner was too big for my forge and ate through the propan bottles like crazy.  To solve this problem, I started to close some holes of the burner, but it turned out that the burner stopped working properly. The flame ignites very late, almost on the ground of the forge and it seens that the airspeed is too high, but the blower is almost completely closed. I don't know what that the problem could be. Maybe the gas is not poperly mixed anymore due to low air speed in the pipe. I also realized that on the open side of the forge, the flame is better than on the closed side. I uploaded a short video, where you can see the flame of the burner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBVnBEXuuU

If you guys have any thoughts, i would be glad to hear them 

Tobias

The burner's flame holes are WAY TOO large, and I suspect that the rest of your flame problems come from that. It is certain that you have no chance to get your forge running properly without addressing those monster holes; sorry about that :P

On the plus side, you should be able to recast those holes smaller, instead of rebuilding the rest of your burner.

That's an open question. You need to know what the right holes are for YOUR burner. Those holes look drilled. There's nothing easier than drilling small holes, in that soft brick and enlarging them a little bit at a time until you end up the the write diameter for the rest of your burner. Or, you can employ the trick of using a board  as a temporary test piece, and just drill the brick once with the right diameter holes, like Frosty and others have done.

Respectfully Mikey, I believe that 8mm is the size of a crayon, so that's the same as most that are made (it's what Wayne Coe used in his and has been copied many times).  Looks to me that you have way too much air pressure.  Do you have a gate after your blower?  If not add one.  I don't recommend a rheostat, since, in my case, whenever my compressor turns on the power drops and the fan changes speed...

image.png.88799d8aff0e8d40df637332fe9a81f2.png

Too much pressure will also cause you to open up the propane to get a flame going, lower the pressure will lower the consumption.  In my opinion, it should run on 20-30 holes fine.  

DanR

Respectfully,  I believe that Dan may be right. With no air valve after the blower, mine would do the same thing. 97 cfm is Way to much air for my setup, even with a shutter on the blower. I would suggest less air. 

And open the propane tank slowly,  it will help keep the safety valve from engaging.