I Forge Iron

Refractories in Canada?

tsugeta7

I'm looking to build my first forge and am having trouble finding a good refractory. All the ones at local stores are either rated 2200F, or don't come in large quantities. PSH has a 50lb tub listen on their website but no heat rating. Does anyone have any recommendations for a refractory that'll go on top of kaowool located in Ontario?

2 hours ago, pnut said:

Iforgeiron sells forge supplies. Pm Glenn 

Pnut

Alright, thanks. Just need to double check math quick for how much i'd actually need.

Assuming 90lb per cubic foot, which i believe that kastolite 30 is, my math is as follows:

Arch
6" radius
- wool = 4"
0.5" of refractory
3.5" tall

301.44 Total Volume
230.79 Inner Volume
70.65 Difference

Walls x2
12"L x 4"H
48 Total

Floor
12" x 12" x 3"
- wool = 12"x12"x1"

144 Total

274.65 cu IN total
350 cuIN 30% safety

Which would mean I would need about 20lb of refractory if my math is correct.

Attached is a rough drawing of the forge. Black is kaowool, gray is refractory, yellow is my burner

Untitled-1.jpg

I think the ceramic blanket only needs to be two inches thick. Two one inch layers. I don't think more really improves performance. 

Pnut

3.75 lbs. of   Kast o lite 30 will cover one square foot at a depth of 1/2 inch. I didn't check your math but here is one more data point just to make sure your calculations are correct. Good luck.

Pnut

On 9/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, pnut said:

I think the ceramic blanket only needs to be two inches thick. Two one inch layers. I don't think more really improves performance. 

Yea, i'm only using 2" blanket, then covering with 1/2" of refractory. Read that anything more will act as a heat sink and take awhile to actually heat up.

Mr. Tsugeta,

You aver that you are located in "Ontario", Canada.

That information is not too informative.

The province is enormous.

The Distance between Kenora Ontario,  (near the Ontario-Manitoba border)  and Kingston Ontario. on the Saint Lawrence river is 928 miles.  A robust two day drive.

The distance between Windsor - Detroit and Hudson Bay Ontario,  is 610 miles. (as the crow flies).

I suggest that greater specificity of your whereabouts would be of value to members near you.

SLAG.

I found a place in Smithville (~40 min west of Niagara Falls) that sells Mizzou for $45CAD per 55lb bag. They only sell minimum of 55lb bag, but it's $0.88 per lb. It's the manufacturing plant that sells them so they've just gotta take some information down before you can buy. here's the link for anyone else
https://thinkhwi.com/products/mizzou-castable-plus/