I Forge Iron

2x72 with 1hp motor question

Bustapepper

I am wondering if the 1hp motor is going to be ok? If anyone has done this? I just want a motor to run off my 110v power. with a vfd Setup is going to be a 2:1 speed increase, motor is 5inch pulley, driven shaft is a 2.5 inch pulley and attached is a 7inch drive wheel to drive the belt. I know in an ideal world a 2hp would be the way to go, I just got this motor for really cheap. 

Using the formula

1760rpm2 x0.264x 7 = 6523 surface feet per minute.

Just curious is all. Thanks for the input

Edit: motor is 1760rpm

I have a 1-1/2 hp motor on my 2x90. It works, but I have been known to bog it down on occasion.

Also, are you using the VFD to step up from single phase to three-phase? If you're going to that expense, why not just get a beefier motor while you're at it?

I got the motor for really cheap. The motor or a 5 inch pulley down to a 2.5 with the drive wheel attached to the driven shaft. I will have a vfd powering it. The power supply is limited in the garage at 20 amps so unless I upgrade my electrial panel and run 220v out there I am limited. I can't afford to do that at this time. I currently use a 5 inch angle grinder. So even if the motor bogs I think I'm a little better off than nothing.