I Forge Iron

Horizontal bandsaw blade tires

JHCC

• 4 years later...

[FOUR YEARS LATER]

The tires from Sulphur Grove have performed very well. Recently, however, the tire on the drive wheel has been slipping off, taking the blade with it. Has anyone had any luck with adhesives for gluing down urethane tires?

I've thought about it but never tried. I hope you discover something, I have two old drive wheels without tires that could go back to work if I could get tires to stay.

The state replaced the bandsaw when the price of blades went up almost a whole $0,20. I never went through supply for wear items again except drill bits. They never seemed to get the right blade because they found a way to SAVE $0.20 ea. Just because they wouldn't fit the bandsaw and were wood blades didn't alter the fact that they'd saved MONEY!

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, JHCC said:

[FOUR YEARS LATER]

The tires from Sulphur Grove have performed very well. Recently, however, the tire on the drive wheel has been slipping off, taking the blade with it. Has anyone had any luck with adhesives for gluing down urethane tires?

Yes, I had referenced the glue I used in a post a little ways back.. 

I tried 5 or 6 different glues with tear off tests and one was the clear winner.. I think it was PL construction adhesive.  but it was a long time ago..  The Doall bandsaw has held up fantastically with the tires and adhesive.  You might have to look back at the results I posted. 

Keep in mind its recommended that you loosen the tension on the blade when the saw is not in use. 

I used Weldwood contact rubber cement about 5 years ago and it's been running like a champ ever since. Got to admit, I don't use the saw a lot and never loosen the blade, didn't know you were supposed to.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus