I Forge Iron

Horizontal bandsaw blade tires

JHCC

The old Craftsman 10" horizontal bandsaw I've been bringing back online was working great until earlier today, when the rubber tire on the drive wheel slipped off. Looks like it's in decent shape, and I'm planning to put it back on. Does anyone have any recommendations about specific adhesives to help keep it in place? (Commonly available at a local hardware store preferred.) Thanks in advance.

Auto supply, "Amber Weather Striping Cement." It sticks stuff reasonably securely but can be removed with a little work. Good stuff, been using it since the late 60s though I've never cemented weather stripping with it.

Put it on thin as you can get it, it'll take a few minutes to: dry, set or whatever it does.

Frosty The Lucky.

Naw, it squeezes out of a tube like tooth paste. Squeeze a bead and spread it THIN with a putty knife or butter knife. One side is plenty, you don't even need complete coverage, it's stick stuff. You only really need to make the contact between the tire and wheel un slippery. Slip the tire on while it's still sticky and maybe put a wrap or two of tape on it to squeeze them together while the glue dries. 

It's very un technical stuff, basically squirt, stick and they're glued.

Frosty The Lucky.

The local auto supply place didn't have any of the amber stuff, but they did have a 3M weatherstrip adhesive product that I got instead. It didn't work at first, but I think that was because I either didn't use enough or didn't let it dry enough first (or both). I reglued the tire and am letting it sit for a while before using it; I will update later.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:06 PM, JHCC said:

they did have a 3M weatherstrip adhesive product that I got instead. It didn't work at first, but I think that was because I either didn't use enough or didn't let it dry enough first (or both). I reglued the tire and am letting it sit for a while before using it

I went and tested a whole bunch of different adhesives and the only one that worked well was the PM construction adhesive I had mentioned earlier. 

3M 5200,  Trim adhesive and all the others failed miserably in the testing. 

this was my home group when I quit smithing. Still my home group but don't get there as much unless i'm stumped on something.
Well this will more than likely be the last installment to Betzy's saga.

I've reached the end of this machine as a project and have put it into the full use category.

So, here is a summary of how things worked
The glue for the tires.
The PL urethane construction adhesive didn't work really at all. Pulled right off and had tons of bubble under it. Took 3 days to harden.
The 3M super trim adhesive seemed to have adhered to the steel really well but didn't adhere to the urethane but a little. Came off a little harder than the PL construction stuff. 1day to harden.
The 3M 5200 Marine glue took 10 days to dry but had the best adhesion both to the steel and to the urethane tire.
The PL Masonry sealant adhered both to the steel and to the tire evenly. It wasn't as strong as the 3m 5200 but it dried in 2 days, didn't bubble, and was very flexible.
In overall adhesion strength the 3m 5200 Marine sealant adhesive was the clear winner.
biggrin.gif The PL Masonry in my opinion has show the most overall satisfactory results as to setup time, overall strength, and ease of use. biggrin.gif
And will be the one I will continue to use, unless I have a month or so for the adhesive to setup.

I tried to reglue the tires on my wood cutting bandsaw to no avail, every adhesive I tried failed after running a while. I finally broke down and bought new tires and installed them. I was surprised to see how much smaller the new tires were in circumference compared to the old ones (really had to stretch them over the wheels) and the new directions stated not to use any adhesive. Been working fine now for several years.

I've found for some reason on the wood variety it doesn't matter and the tires stay put. 

I know that the tires and glue I used have worked all these years and I never loosen the saw blades which I should.. 

I also do friction cutting of high carbon heat treated steels as well as files and such so the heat load on the bottom tire is amazing.   6000 bandfeet per minute. 

Masonry cement has worked perfectly. It has a little rubbery give to it but works perfectly. 

I had read so much stuff about setting them up right. 

new tires from DoAll were like 250.00 each back when I had checked on them.  The guy from Sulfur grove sent me extra tires for the one fee for 3.  

Anyhow, my Metal cut off bandsaw uses no tires at all and are flat with metal to metal contact with the wheels.  I forgot you were talking about metal cut off saw. 

Are your wheels completely flat with a back lip? 

• 1 month later...

Update: the tire on the drive wheel continued to creep and bulge, and I eventually cut it off. Things worked fairly well on bare wheels for a while. However, the blade has stretched a little bit, and since I've maxed out how far out I can move the idler wheel, the blade has started slipping off the guides. It works if I rest the blade on the workpiece, lift it slightly to create clearance, start the motor, and immediately let the blade down. Not the best solution.

I think I need to price a new set of tires or at least bulk out the idler wheel with some tape or something to take up that extra slack.

No, massive heavy old things, looks to be cast. I'll try to get a picture.  I use them in my classes in the "the size of the tong is not a true indicator of what they will hold correctly" I have a couple of short tongs, one is for 1/8" the other for 1/2" stock and then these massive thing that work for 1/16"...

You could get shorter blades made to take the stretch and adjustment into account. I have been buying blades from Woodcraft Bands Inc. for years. They don't have a big selection of metal cutting blade stock, but you could call them and see if they can fix you up. Good people to deal with.

[Commercial link removed]

Edited by Mod34
Commercial link removed per TOS

On 9/2/2019 at 11:54 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

I mentioned Sulphur grove as the place to buy new tires. 

Just ordered a new set of tires from Sulphur Grove; should be here in a week. Thanks for the recommendation.