I Forge Iron

Alone in the wild

pnut

It must be fundraising time. Every year KET a PBS station plays a documentary about the journey of Richard Proenneke. He goes into the mountains of Alaska with only hand tools and builds a homestead that he lived on until he was in his seventies. He is one of the best Craftsmen I've ever seen. I think his cabin was turned into a historic site. If you get a chance to watch it I highly recommend it. I watch it every year. It's something I look forward to.

Pnut

I show this movie every year to my shop classes, the idea being hard work can take you where you want to go. He was 83 when he left Twin Lakes in Alaska, and the park services took charge of his cabin as a historical site. The book "One Mans Wilderness" is a great read. It is his journal entries from that year in his own words. It gives more detail than the documentary. What always seems interesting to me is the fact that when ever you see him hiking to the camera he already had gone there to set the camera up. He is an amazing craftsman.

Great story for all to enjoy.

Have a great day,

W