I Forge Iron

Help with Forge

Dalton.Rogers

Hey all! So, I'm relatively new to this whole blacksmithing thing. My local group gave me an old coal forge to use for a bit. However I'm looking into getting a propane forge because it is much easier to find fuel and my neighbors don't like the coal smell. Anyways, ive been doing research on forges and such. But i need help. Im a highschool student without a whole lot of access to tools, but I've got a stable job and willing to put money into something I am interested in.  I know the “Devil’s Forge” have mixed reviews on here from what I've seen but, wanted to bring it up again. The company has started including rigidizer with the forges and offer free shipping on ebay. Is there anyone that has personal experience with the forges? Specifically looking at the double burner with a door. 

Their reviews are mixed, for one of the same reasons that much m,ore expensive forges often are; They aren't really to be considered as turn-key. You would do well to buy a minor amount of fumed silica, and rigidize their ceramic wool before use. Dump the stuff they call rigidizer, and buy inexpensive Plistix as a hot face finish coating. You would also be better off to ditch the half-brick it uses as a floor, and buy a small bag of Kast-O-lite 30 to cast a floor from instead; look for there products at the top of the forum page.

Also, Devil Forges are imports, which means that there is no dependable quality control on their regulators and hoses; the parts may be good, or not so good; they will exchange regulators if you have a problem with it. The hoses are easily replaced.

However, the forge and its burner is well enough constructed. If you only buy the single burner forge, you WILL get much more than your money's worth. There you go, with this is the bald faced truth; like it or don't.

I have been inventing and building gas forges for twenty years, and would consider buying a single burner Devil Forge, just for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered them at length last year, after seeing a flame photo. My conclusion was that the way the gas tube is welded over the end of the mixing tube may  encourage incoming air to swirl, giving a performance boost over what would otherwise be expected. I would say the burners are worth their price, but the principles of this design are more interesting to me than the product. That is not intended to discourage anyone who is considering their purchase :)

I just looked at the atlas website. They look like they would work but they are soft firebrick so the life span of the lining  may not be very long. It's basically soft firebrick wrapped in steel. I couldn't see a way to change the liner but I was looking at the site on a phone. They didn't mention the lining being easily replaceable but you would have to contact them and ask. So long as whoever is buying it knows what they are buying they look good for a brick forge.

Pnut

I think a person would be better off getting their own soft firebricks some angle iron and all thread versus paying three hundred dollars for a two brick forge inside a metal box. As for the burner I leave that to more knowledgeable folks. I thought about that forge all day at work and wondered how many people have bought it expecting something larger only to be surprised when they open a box and their forge is the size of two bricks. I guess you just need to know what you're buying before you buy it.

Pnut

21 hours ago, Frosty said:

You're more impressed than I am Mike.

Only because I work hard at being as positive as an old cranky butt can be (not much) :P

It is easy to dismiss products that aren't very impressive; I try to save that reaction for products I think of outright garbage.