I Forge Iron

Taking Stock of Life

I guess that there comes a time when one must take careful consideration of how things are in ones life. Health being the major one and it is not the best in the world. My spine is going and going fast. That is a major problem for a guy that like to work heavy metal. It is near impossible to do much heavy forging let alone light metal work. Walking is tough, weight is increasing becaues of the inability to walk far or lift any object weighing more then ten pounds. So I'm not able to do bronze pours, forge or weld any longer. Just what is one to do?

Bentiron,
We will keep you in our prayers. I understand how you feel as I have been off of work for over a month now with a back injury. One thing that we can do is to try to educate others. You will not stay young forever. Wear your eye and hearing protection. Watch your lifting techniques. Don't try to be Superman. Get help when you need it. Appreciate good health when you have it.....
Jerry

Bentiron

Google Arthur Ganson and take a look at some of his wire machines. Since I was first made aware of this artist I have wanted to try my hand at wire sculpture. Also Google wire sculpture. There are some "how to" sites out there to give you some ideas. Maybe wire can help keep you in the metal arts. Above all keep an open mind and a positive attitude.

Wishing you the best.

It appears that I have a congenital problem with my lower back. The five lower vertebrae are malformed and can't hold the disk in place. Doesn't appear to be much they can do until I loose around one-hundred-fifty pounds. Then there is the possible hairline fracture of the hip. They also can't fix that until I loose weight.

Be careful and try to avoid the broken hip, broken back, hospital diet plan. They do not let you bring fire and anvils into your hospital room. Use the prayer list for help sheding pounds if you wish. Best wishes with your problem.

Over at the sword forum there is what I suspect to be a kid talking about "pushing the limits" in using over sized heavy swords for "bragging rights".

All I could think of was how short those rights would be and then the decades of living with ruined joints.

Other metal arts include engraving and jewelry---things that can be done even from a wheelchair!

Excess body weight is a killer in many ways so try your best to lose any extra pounds. I know what I'm talking about because I was about 50 lbs above my ideal weight and it caused all sorts of problems. I finally started walking at night with my wife - short distances and slowly at first, plus minimal dieting (no snacks but same sized regular meals). I dropped 12 lbs in a month and have hit a plateau, but I'm sticking with it. I'm up to 10 miles a week and feeling much better. Maybe I'll be 38 lbs lighter in a few months...

My prayers are with you that you can overcome the obstacles and continue your career but your health comes first.

Bentiron your in my prayers, I can relate to the frustration of not being able to do the things you love. I was laid up for 2 years following a motorcycle wreck caused by a SUV who was in a hurry to get home to see her soap operas. Those 2 years was painful physicly but also mentally as I watched our farm go to pot as I could not do the things that needed done or the things I wanted to do.

Keep you chin up and hopefully some of the ideas that have been offered might give you an outlet to vent your frustrations... Heck I learned to crochet while I was laid up to ease the creative juices...