I Forge Iron

Exciting Moment In The Shop

So I went over to the shop yesterday to continue working on the shirasaya I was making for a sword I am polishing; as I grabbed a clamp on the work bench, there was a sudden scrambling near my elbow. As I quickly looked and stepped back, I saw a rather large rat climbing out of the parts bin on the bench!  In the hasty search for a weapon, some moments were lost and the rat disappeared :( It is probably a good thing I did not even think about the sword close at hand. Later I realized that the previous night I had covered the work with 2 microfiber towels, which had disappeared...I found one under the work bench. I think the rat hauled them off to make a nest.

If I see him today, I have something for him......

• 2 weeks later...

That's what you get when you live in a tropical climate, lots of other life forms around to share your space and compete for food and microfiber towels.  Do you have large cockroaches in American Samoa (2-3" long)?  We did in Viet Nam and although it has been almost half a century the thought of them still gives me the willies.  And don't get me started on giant centipedes.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

The biggest roach i have seen was about1 1/2 inches; I have seen coconut beetles about 3 inches long. I have seen centipedes about 5 to 6 inches long; man i hate those things! The wind knocked down a bunch of banana trees on one of my mower trails; when i cut up the truck of one, i found a centipede nest, mom and larvae underneath. good thing I used the machete instead of hands to pick up the trunk. I encourage wild chickens to hang out on the land, as they do eat a lot of bugs, even centipedes.  Welcome home, brother.

Steve  &  George N.M.,

Giant cock roaches can be found in Central America, and parts of South America.

I am not sure of their size, in southern Florida.

Centipedes,  do,  eat a lot of insects. They're not all bad.

Check your socks and empty your boots.

SLAG.

I got a black widow bite when I lived in TN. One of the more painful things I've experienced and I've been stabbed two different times, in motorcycle wrecks, and broken lots of bones skateboarding. I was moving some old tires in the backyard and grabbed one that was home to one of the little devils and she took issue with my finger being too close to her.

Pnut

Steve,

Just the idea of opening up a centipede nest gives me serious willies.  While in RVN I got stung on the side of the hand by either a centipede or scorpion and my arm was numb for about 24 hours.  It was like a super bee or wasp sting.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."