I Forge Iron

Leg vice missing pieces

caotropheus

Greetings

I had this leg vice in storage for a long time and now I decided to repair it. It was missing the spring (forged one out of rebar...wish me luck) and it is still missing the thrust washer/bearing. I found this simple washer that fits very well the threaded rod and sits well into place, between the movable jaw and the screw head. Now, the movable jaw has two slots  where the original  thrust washer/bearing sits and it is secured. What do you people suggest I do, to repair the thrust washer/bearing? Use the simple washer? weld two claws to fit the slots? get a real thrust bearing? get a bronze washer/bearing?

I am a simple curious guy how beats hot steel every now and then during the week, not a blacksmith.

Thanks

hn7WgER.jpg

Thanks IDF&C. Yesterday I heated the washer to an orange heat and locked it in place between the jaw and the screw head and it acquire the right shape for its function. Probably one day I will have the patience to make a more massive thrust washer with claws that lock into place.

People, I forgot to show you, the fixed jaw is a bit marred and chipped in the edge. The chipped jaw suggests some sort of hardening, probably case hardening. As a personal preference, I like a vise with straight, parallel, even height jaws, not marred or chipped. My question is, can I pre heat and fill the damaged parts with 7018?

Thanks

AbiRVPS.jpg

Leg vise jaws often had a steel inserts. Welding it up should be fine.

If you have a torch, heat your thrust washer over the key ways and drive it in a  LITTLE BIT so the washer locks in place.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...