I Forge Iron

Propane Forge Shopping - opinions please

GrumpyBiker

I’m at a point where I’m looking for a new propane double burner forge.

I have two single burners I built but I’m looking one that I can pack up and travel with.

I’m not looking to build and the NC forges under $1,000 all seem to have very small openings and geared more for farriers.

I’ve found a couple  that caught my eye and am interested in whether anyone on here has an opinion or experience with them.

I want one with doors and really like the idea of a large side door vs the doors on the ends. I don’t make knives but am not ruling those out.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I don't care for the untreated ceramic blanket liner nor the fire brick floor in the last picture. I don't know anything about the burners but the over long intake port doesn't say good things to me.

I understand not wanting to build, I'm starting to get tired of it myself but finding something I can afford is a problem.

I have to ditto Mike's suggestion.

Frosty The Lucky.

All but the first pic are forges on Flea-bay.

I have my eye on this guy on FB from Texas but when you add the track for fire brick doors ($50) you’re at $500 + shipping.

sigh.... 

I have Kaowool & a gallon of rigidizer.

I may just end up building yet another.

Image removed due to advertising

I think this 'rigidizer' is based on sodium silicate, which sells for a higher price than colloidal silica ( probably because of government regulations on its shipment), and melts at 1900 F. Colloidal silica (fumed silica in water) can be obtained far more cheaply, and is use rated on ceramic fiber products at 2300 F.

Sodium silicate makes an excellent adhesive to glue together Perlite into monolithic forms for secondary insulation, but has been out of date for rigidizing ceramic fiber since the sixties.

I read their product ads, and have concluded that there is a good chance that the "ignorance tax" is being added onto their pricing :angry:

If you have already purchased their product, you might consider holding on for it for other purposes, which are many with sodium silicate, including waterproofing concrete, and for constructing sand cores for aluminum castings; also as glue for monolithic structures constructed of Perlite, which can be very handy as secondary insulation, and as insulated equipment bases.

Fumed silica can be purchased for little additional expense, and will do a far better job of rigidizing ceramic fiber; it is also far easier to use for the purpose.

When handed a lemon, its best to make lemonade...:P

I picked up fumed silica at a plastics supplier, it's commonly used to thicken resin glues and casts, 8 oz. filled a quart can and cost maybe $10. IIRC. I figure 1/4 cup will more than rigidize my next forge liner. I just kept adding till I like it last time and didn't measure. 

A place that sells marine supplies is another good source, it's used extensively in boat hulls and fixtures. 

If you're looking for evacuated silica spheres like in Kastolite bubble refractory it's used to make light weight concrete, check with a concrete mix/batch plant.

1 hour ago, Mikey98118 said:

When handed a lemon, its best to make lemonade...

When given a lemon I prefer to squeeze a little in a paper cut. 

I see your Allan Dean Foster and raise you a "Princess Bride" reference!

Frosty The Lucky.