I Forge Iron

Is L-suffix Stainless a health hazard?

Mr Moose

I have a question. Is it a good idea to use the "L" suffexed stainless. The "L" stands for lead that was included in the mix for easier machining. I would think that the lead would leach out and contaminate any food stuff that was cut plus the lead fumes during forging.

Thank you both for the clarification.  It is truly aggravating to find out that the information I received from Navy Machinery Repairman School ( machinest) in early 1990 was wrong. I never thought to research it myself. Again thanks for correcting this. 

For most machining alloys the L is "leaded"; it's use for Low Carbon in stainless is an oddball.  So if you were in a machining program being taught that L means leaded is correct.   If you were in a welding program most likely you would be taught it was Low Carbon WRT stainless alloys and again be correct. That's the great thing about standards, they are such a good idea that everyone has one! (I've had to break it to some folks gently that "gauge" is not a specific term as there are a number of gauge systems out there and few agree; always use decimal inch or metric to identify a thickness!)

• 2 weeks later...

If in doubt look up the letter designations for specific metals. I've seen F used to indicate leaded free machining alloys. Case by case is the safest way to know what you're using, even then. . . 

Frosty The Lucky.