I Forge Iron

Side blast forge build + flyweel blower

IMG_20190529_100718.thumb.jpg.cf30e74e212e6d0ad1ce300eac74a008.jpgHi, I'm in the process of making a side blast forge and i want to share whith you. The design is based on Mark Aspery notes, the Main body is almost complete and now i'm working on the Hand Crank blower, inspired in a antique Buffalo flyweel design. Eveverything is Made of scrap ir recycled parts and materials. 

My idea is to use this coque forge whithout electricity, it will depend on the eficiency of the blower design, but whit the 60cm cast iron wheel driving a 2cm diámeter blower pulley plus the Crank relation of two turns of the flyweel per Crank i think it Will work.The main air tube is made big for this propouse from a 9cm Pipe narrowed at 2,6cm at the tip of the nozzle. What do you think?

This post bring me back ti the forum since a long time, i will apressiate your suggestions and coments, i will go posting the progresess. 

I read in some other post about filling the botom of the forge whith different materials, i have on hand two: masonry sand or black soil (not a clay type) what did you recomend as a best option?

Thanks and have a good forging day every body!

IMG_20190529_100756.jpg

IMG_20190529_100733.jpg

IMG_20190529_100817.jpg

IMG_20190529_100824.jpg

IMG_20190529_100718.jpg