I Forge Iron

Anvil ID and uses for this cut up anvil?

Horn and hardy looks good. 

It's going to take a lot of time and consumables to fix it I'd imagine. 

There's a method of repair I can't think of the guys name. I'm sure someone will chime in with it soon. If not I might be able to get my scrambled brains to work well enough to remember and I'll post it.

Pnut (Mike)

Robert Gunter

When my brain fails Google works

Is it cheap?

Pnut (Mike)

28 minutes ago, pnut said:

I would say NO it's not worth it. 

Thanks for your thoughts. I have usable anvils now, I was just looking at it as a challenge, to bring it back to life. If it is going to cost a lot in time and materials to repair, from a master blacksmith like Robb Gunter , then I will pass on it.

As a project I'm sure it would be quite a challenge. Above my pay grade for sure. I checked your profile and I figured you probably have multiple anvils. I'm using a vertical rail so a horn and hardy hole would be a welcome tool for maybe fifty or sixty dollars. 295 seems to be outrageous. I don't know the market in the SW but that seems like a lot for a project. Although it would be a good skill to have in your back pocket. 

Good luck either way.

Pnut (Mike)

I've seen some really nice Wilkinson anvils, but that's not one of them. One wonders why anyone would butcher a good anvil like that. Anyway, it is usable but $295 U.S. is too much. Perhaps in Australia it might sell for that. I think it would be best to leave it there.

It is not worth $295, but unfortunately someone may buy it at that because it is a "real" anvil, and anvils are black gold now.........  I would pay scrap rate for it, as it still has some usefulness like Pnut mentioned.  If I got it I would mill the low face section flat, then maybe bolt custom tooling to it, or maybe a dovetail for attaching tooling. But that is a bit of work, so I would want it as low cost as possible.